Honored Contributor

Update on nails and hair issues

I was having a lot of issues with my hair and nails - hair was falling out at an alarming rate and nails were splitting and peeling - constantly breaking. I started taking hair , skin and nails from HSN but that was expensive. On the advice of my stylist I bought biotin at the drugstore for much less $$ after the HSN ran out. I am pleased to say that my hair is greatly improved,and growing in nicely (WHEW) and my nails are as strong as they have ever been in my life, and growing very quickly. I will stick with the biotin from the drugstore as that seems to be adequate for my issues. Thank goodness this has reversed itself - it is frightening to have these issues all of a sudden.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on nails and hair issues

Sorry - did not mean to post under bare minerals - sometimes my screen jumps as I hit submit.

Esteemed Contributor

Is biotin a capsule found in the vitamin section of the store?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Yes, biotin is a nutrient found in the vitamin section. There is also a chewable version called Hair, Skin & Nails" gummies by Nature's Bounty. Has Biotin, Vitamins C & E. Tastes good - like candy. $18.95 for 80 gummies and CVS frequently has BOGOF.

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 twopeas said:

Is biotin a capsule found in the vitamin section of the store?

It's a white pill - found at the drug store.

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 gonnab said:

Yes, biotin is a nutrient found in the vitamin section. There is also a chewable version called Hair, Skin & Nails" gummies by Nature's Bounty. Has Biotin, Vitamins C & E. Tastes good - like candy. $18.95 for 80 gummies and CVS frequently has BOGOF.

I'll look for these.

Trusted Contributor

I have been taking biotin (5000mcg) for about 5 months. I get it in capsule form from Wal-Mart. My hair has stopped falling out (don't think it is growing back), and my nails look amazing. I used to say that I had stubs for nails, now they look beautiful. Works for me!
Honored Contributor

I take 10,000 mcg Biotin daily, this is the max dosage.

Respected Contributor

I take Nature's Bounty, it's a tiny gel pill.

Super Contributor

My nails are awful! The splitting and breaking will not stop. They have never been this bad. I just ordered Andrew Lessman's Hair Skin and Nails. If it doesn't help, l will try a recommendation from the drugstore.