Honored Contributor

Re: Update on my search for Sunscreen for Face

@Still Raining 

When I do yard work, I always wear a hat!  And the rest of me is totally covered up!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@poregirl 

I have only seen the light one like I purchased but if it comes in a darker tint, which it should, that is good!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

"I have only seen the light one like I purchased but if it comes in a darker tint, which it should, that is good!  "

Right now Ulta has the darker tinted one online but not the light.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Still Raining 

When I do yard work, I always wear a hat!  And the rest of me is totally covered up!!!  

@AngelPuppy1 

Wearing a hat and keeping covered up works partially but UV radiation still goes through fabric unless it is UPF rated. You will still get sun damage when not wearing UPF-rated hats and UPF-rated clothing.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Still Raining 

@AngelPuppy1 

Wearing a hat and keeping covered up works partially but UV radiation still goes through fabric unless it is UPF rated. You will still get sun damage when not wearing UPF-rated hats and UPF-rated clothing.

@SilleeMee are these upf rated clothing regulated? There are so many knockoffs, not sure if I 'm getting upf protection. Is there a seal of approval or something to look for?

I got the innisfree Daily UV Defense Sunscreen. First time trying but has good reviews on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FLGators wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Still Raining 

@AngelPuppy1 

@SilleeMee are these upf rated clothing regulated? There are so many knockoffs, not sure if I 'm getting upf protection. Is there a seal of approval or something to look for?

I got the innisfree Daily UV Defense Sunscreen. First time trying but has good reviews on Amazon.

@FLGators 

The FDA approved UPF clothing as a medical device but only monitors marketing claims. There is no official certifying agency to regulate UPF ratings. 

I found this statement on an FDA site:

• "Wearing clothing to cover skin exposed to the sun, such as long-sleeve shirts, pants, sunglasses, and broad-brim hats. Sun-protective clothing is now available. (The FDA regulates these products only if they are intended to be used for medical purposes.)"
Honored Contributor

@FLGators Costco has some UPF shirts if you have a membership there.  They might even be on sale this time of the year.  They have two brands.  I particularly like the 32 Degree brand because they also feel cool.  They also have a Hang Ten brand, but I'm saving that one for probably next spring when it's a little cooler.  I definitely wouldn't wear it in the summer heat especially after experiencing the other fabric.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I thought the advantage of a mineral sunscreen was that since it was a physical sunscreen there should be no waiting.  However, you do have to wait 15 or so minutes before sun exposure.  I was surprised recently when there was a GMA deal on a sunscreen by Lion Pose that also says to wait 3 to 5 minutes before applying makeup to fully absorb.  That's really a hard no for me.  On the days I apply makeup, I don't have the time to wait around, especially since I need to wait a bit for my primer to dry down before applying foundation.  

However, I'm curious as to why you have to wait 15 minutes for a physical sunscreen.  

Yesterday I wore Inbeauty Project Mineral sun Glow in Fair-Medium.  I'm fairly light and although it had a tint coming out of the tube, when I applied it to my skin, I really couldn't tell.  It just looked like it disappeard into my skin.  I caught my reflection in mirrors as I was shopping and I couldn't tell I even had makeup on (which really isn't a good thing for me).  I did apply a little blush and mascara.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

There is no wait time for mineral sunscreen to be effective. It's chemical ss where there is at least a 15-min wait time for the ss to absorb and become effective.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , so the Lion Pose has zinc, but it's still a physical sunscreen which is what I guess I meant above.  Both mineral and zinc are physical sunscreens, right?