Regular Contributor

Update on Fig skin Irritation

Thanks Ladies who were supportive when I started having a problem. Since, I've been on a Fig hiatus, my skin has cleared up. It is a little extra sensitive in those areas that really broke out. But, much, much better. I know people suggested maybe it was the menthol but, I'm able to use all the others (TT, SAM, 613, POM, and Seasonals).

I've narrowed it down to 2 possible culprits. At first I thought is was definitely the fig leaf extract. But, there is one other possibility - the cedarwood oil. I know I'm allergic to sandalwood, I wonder if they are closely related. If so, that would explain it. It is only found in the Fig Oil. That may also why I didn't break out when I first used the FIG CC.

My hair is really missing the Fig CC. I think in about a week or two I'm going to give the CC another try.

Wish me luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Fig skin Irritation

DrCEB, Chaz frequently mentions that cedarwood has certain benefits and that people should google it. FDA regulations prohibit Chaz from mentioning those benefits on air because that would be making a medical claim.

I'm thinking that if cedarwood oil does have strong medicinal benefits (probably antibacterial) then it might make cedarwood oil more like to react with skin. You might want to google cedarwood oil and skin irritation to see what information is available.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad your skin is recovering!!

-- bebe Smile

Honored Contributor

yes, cedarwood can cause irritation on some and is actually known to cause allergic reactions. I don't know the % in the WEN but it is a possible that is the culprit, unless it is in a minute amount. I avoid it in skincare because of irritation.

I am glad things are clearing up though!

Honored Contributor

I have a problem with the Fig extract, too. I get dermatitis (sp?) on my eyelid. Since I've cut back on fig CC it's been fine but the second I use the CC plus the other products with fig extract in it, I start to re-develop it.

I will have to look at the cedarwood angle, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Your skin irritation may be caused by one of the ingredients -- Methylisothiazolinone. Methylisothiazolinone, or MI, is preservative that is used in place of parabens. Both my dh and my Mom developed rashes after they started using Wen. Here is an article which you might find helpful. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10164452/Warning-over-epidemic-of-skin-allergies-from-...

Occasional Contributor

Funny, I had a little bit of a rash reaction to the SAM RTM. I wasn't sure at first so I gave it a second chance the next day and had the contact dermatitis re-occur but not on my scalp. Only where the spray landed on my face. But to the SAM CC, I have had no reaction whatsoever. So I just don't use the RTM and hope that the SHP RTM doesn't have the culprit ingredient.

I hope you're able to work out the cause of your sensitivity. Good Luck.

Anna