Frequent Contributor
Found she likes to drink out of small kids pool on patio. Don't know what we will do when it gets cold. Only drinks out of water bowl inside infrequently. One accident in a week. But not urine so easy to clean up. Thanks for all your help
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a positive experience so far. I've had many dogs from the local humane society and one/two from a rescue. My understanding is that it takes about 3 months for a dog to adjust to a new home. The only exception is greyhounds from the track - it takes about 3 years or so.

Respected Contributor

Once the pool is put away, place a bowl of water outside. She will drink it and of course a bowl inside. She will drink from either when she is thirsty. Dogs are smart and it will not be a problem.

Frequent Contributor
Thanks appreciate everyone's help
Frequent Contributor

Peri, sounds likes it's going pretty well. A very large bowl or bucket outside might be to her liking. All my dogs were rescues and they did adapt pretty darn quickly except one did take longer. Depends on the situation they left. Two of mine were pretty desperate when I got them--they were on their own for a long time when they showed up at my house. You seem to have a lot of patience and it's a learning process for you as well. Continued success to you both!

Super Contributor

She will drink when she is thirsty from inside bowl in the winter. Close the bathroom door. LOL.

When we fostered ours, the cutest thing happened. My pup finished her food in a split second and then annoyed him while he was eating. He growled and she backed off---about three steps away while waiting for him to leave so she could be the cleanup crew.

After a meal or two, he started leaving a bit of food for her in his bowl at every meal, as if to say---"I don't want you bothering me, but I don't want you to starve either!"

Honored Contributor
On 8/30/2014 KateChopin said:

She will drink when she is thirsty from inside bowl in the winter. Close the bathroom door. LOL.

When we fostered ours, the cutest thing happened. My pup finished her food in a split second and then annoyed him while he was eating. He growled and she backed off---about three steps away while waiting for him to leave so she could be the cleanup crew.

After a meal or two, he started leaving a bit of food for her in his bowl at every meal, as if to say---"I don't want you bothering me, but I don't want you to starve either!"

Awww that so cute! having cats I know exactly what you mean about the bathroom. I had one that wouldn't drink standing water it had to be out of the tap
Frequent Contributor
Well we finally figured out why she drank out of the pool and not the bowl. A young girl that worked at Petco solved the problem. She asked what kind of bowl we were using. We said stainless. She said could be a problem that she could see a reflection in bottom of bowl. Sure enough got a dark non reflective bowl and she drank. Amazing. Also hates to go potty in rain. She waited 21 hours before she would go. Also asked Petco about this so we brought home potty pads. But by that time it had stopped raining and she went. Hallelujah ! Any other suggestions for when it rains. 21 hours is crazy!
Honored Contributor
On 8/31/2014 periwinklerocket said: Well we finally figured out why she drank out of the pool and not the bowl. A young girl that worked at Petco solved the problem. She asked what kind of bowl we were using. We said stainless. She said could be a problem that she could see a reflection in bottom of bowl. Sure enough got a dark non reflective bowl and she drank. Amazing. Also hates to go potty in rain. She waited 21 hours before she would go. Also asked Petco about this so we brought home potty pads. But by that time it had stopped raining and she went. Hallelujah ! Any other suggestions for when it rains. 21 hours is crazy!

Too funny. I think you have a diva on your hands for sure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Enjoying these posts. I'm a huge dog/cat person. Rabbits, baby ducks, chickens, etc.