Regular Contributor

Unsure of the term "masking"

Hi Beauty Maskers!

Ok, this is an actual question...

I was watching Dr Denese on BIQ last night, and Courtney said that someone was using a Denese serum as a mask with fab results. They both spoke as if it were a surprise and Dr D wondered how that person did it.

My question is this, isn't masking just applying and waiting for it to absorb? Until they spoke with surprise, i was thinking that it just meant the person was just using a lot of product or something! Clearly i am missing a beat, here!

So what is masking aside from using an actual "mask" product? Is it just overusing product?

(I remember growing up when my mom would wash her face with soap, slather on some "cold cream" and call it a day! ....now.... we mask!! ) lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Unsure of the term "masking"

@Merciful One - there are lots of different kinds of masks out there, depending on what kind of issue one is addressing; smoothness/texture, pores/deep cleansing, blackheads, dryness, etc. and masks can come in a few different forms; leave on, rinse off, and peel off.

Honored Contributor

To me a mask is a temporary application of a product designed to treat specific issues,  as opposed to regular skincare products which are applied and left on all day/night.

Esteemed Contributor

Masking means covering over. It's more of a makeup term, but they may have used it as in applying a mask. 

How they meant it, I suppose, is that the person put on an extra thick layer of the serum, and perhaps waited a period of time before either washing it off, or getting on w/ their regular routine.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming the person meant that they put extra product on their face and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then removed or rubbed in the excess.  Not sure about that, but that's what it sounds like to me.

As far as the "surprise" from Courtney and Dr. Denese, I suspect that was their way of trying to convince people that this is a great new idea, and people should use more of the serum and try it out.  (Who knows, maybe it does work better that way.)  I'm sure it thrills them when people find new ways to go through product faster, so they were probably delighted to hear it.

I do have to wonder if this new tip actually came from a customer or if it originated from someone in the corporate offices at QVC, or Dr. Denese's company.  Some customers would be suspicious if Dr. Denese suggested using it as a mask all of the sudden, but if the tip seemed to come from a fellow customer it would seem more like a legitimate use and less like a cash-grab...so...makes you wonder about the actual origin of this tip.

Anyone who wants to use it as a mask has that option, of course.  

Don't mind me...I'm just cynical about the beauty industry.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I'm assuming the person meant that they put extra product on their face and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then removed or rubbed in the excess.  Not sure about that, but that's what it sounds like to me.

As far as the "surprise" from Courtney and Dr. Denese, I suspect that was their way of trying to convince people that this is a great new idea, and people should use more of the serum and try it out.  (Who knows, maybe it does work better that way.)  I'm sure it thrills them when people find new ways to go through product faster, so they were probably delighted to hear it.

I do have to wonder if this new tip actually came from a customer or if it originated from someone in the corporate offices at QVC, or Dr. Denese's company.  Some customers would be suspicious if Dr. Denese suggested using it as a mask all of the sudden, but if the tip seemed to come from a fellow customer it would seem more like a legitimate use and less like a cash-grab...so...makes you wonder about the actual origin of this tip.

Anyone who wants to use it as a mask has that option, of course.  

Don't mind me...I'm just cynical about the beauty industry.

@mistriTsquirrel

This isn't anything new .....   Women have probably been putting stuff on their faces since the cave man days .....  mud, clay, and probably a ton of other things.  

Today, women often use simpler household things .... egg white, honey, bananas, avocados, oatmeal ..... you name it.

I'm not so sure you need to spend mucho bucks on high end mask products, but some people think the more expensive it, the better it must be ....   I'll say no more on this thought.

If you really want to check this out, just google "best home made facial masks"   ....  there's no shortage of things to slop onto your face!   lol

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

To me a mask is a temporary application of a product designed to treat specific issues,  as opposed to regular skincare products which are applied and left on all day/night.

Brave new world, @SilleeMee! elf has a creamy "sleeping mask" that's applied to the clean face before bed and washed off in the morning. I got it as part of a promotion and have used it and believe it sinks in overnight. I expect if elf is doing it, it's being done by some high-end lines.

I think a lot of people wouldn't like the idea of having a lot of guck on their faces that could get transferred to the bed linens, though. The product transfer problem is why I don't like the body lotions that you apply to wet skin after you shower and then towel off. That's going to put product all over your towel. I didn't like the concept, so my freebies in that category are going to be pitched.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Oh yeah...I've made some of the homemade ones myself.  I do love a good mask, and I don't spend a lot of money on them.  Smiley Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@noodleann I suspect the concept of sleeping masks came about as a way to get us to buy creams that feel thick or funky sitting on the skin. If the manufacturer marketed that same formula as a night cream, people would complain that it was grainy or sticky or left a film. But call it a mask and all those "features" are expected and accepted!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I use two different kinds of masks. One is a for pore cleansing (clay and charcoal) and the other is for redness reduction (matcha tea powder and honey). I make the matcha mask myself and use it once or twice a week.