Valued Contributor

Re: Unilever purchases Tatcha

Well, another company lost to big business. Although i understand the business entreprenuership here and the need for profts but you're forgetting about the customers who took the business where its at.

Almost all the time we see products changed altered against the customers likes. So, to me it seems that its always all about making the $$$ and then throwing customers under the bus. You get them hooked on the line until they become frequent users and then sell your company. You make the $$$, they get nothing. 

IT did the same thing and i stopped buying altogether after i used an altered version fo my favorite item. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's funny I never realized until I read it here that IT cosmetics was sold. I always thought Jamie got so rich she did not need to be on tv anymore and had other people do her bidding!  It seems like everyone sells their company after a while.  It is sometimes weird when they still hang around promoting the product, because it makes people think they still own it.  Like Lisa Price with her Carol's Daughter line.  And I'll never understand Betthany Frankel's relationship with the Skinnygirl brand. I thought she sold it but yet she's always hawking it and coming out with new things and showing it on the Housewives. 

Super Contributor

Well I'm done with Tatcha. Don't believe their response that the formulations won't change. It's all about the big bucks. Don't think much of Simon either.
Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

It's funny I never realized until I read it here that IT cosmetics was sold. I always thought Jamie got so rich she did not need to be on tv anymore and had other people do her bidding!  It seems like everyone sells their company after a while.  It is sometimes weird when they still hang around promoting the product, because it makes people think they still own it.  Like Lisa Price with her Carol's Daughter line.  And I'll never understand Betthany Frankel's relationship with the Skinnygirl brand. I thought she sold it but yet she's always hawking it and coming out with new things and showing it on the Housewives. 

Lots of times, the owner agrees to stay on "as the face of the brand" at least for a while.

Like they really have something to say.

They don't.  They sold that right when they sold their company.

They act like we are too dumb to notice the changes and to me, that's an insult.

I knew It was sold to L'Oreal as soon as I saw It Cosmetics got moved next to L'Oreal at Ulta.

Wait and see.  Tatcha will be in Walmart some day.

Regular Contributor

Hope Tatcha never changes but like other brands that have been bought out it probably will change.  I just read it was purchased June 10, 2019 for close to 500 million dollars. 

Honored Contributor

It's great when you have the money to start a business and stick with it.  It seems a lot of women made out by being on QVC.  I can think of several that sold their companies and are very rich.  Like I said, it is getting the business started.  I wonder if Josie will join the others and sell?

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I watched the Beauty News gals Kat and Hailey talk about the Tatcha sale to Unilever on the Friday June 21st beauty video and they were positive about the Tatcha sale to Unilever because they like some of the other luxury brands that Unilever has also acquired like Kate Somerville, Dermalogica, Ren, Murad, and Hourglass, especially Hourglass. Unilever also owns Living Proof hair line too.

Since Kat and Hailey both live in Australia, it does make sense when they talk about Unilever being able to have a wider sourcing, manufacturing, and distribution base than a smaller indie brand. I know from visiting Australia that they don't always get the same drugstore or luxury products that are sold in the U.S. (and it can also be the same in Canada that we don't get the same products sold in the U.S. sometimes.)

Occasional Contributor

You’d better buy what you like now. I’ve seen this happen too many times. Amazing Grace was my favorite. Coty ruined it. Tatcha will be the same way. Won’t buy again

Contributor

They already have changed their formulas for their silk and indigo creams.  Also the rice powder.  

The Unilever deal was probably in the works for awhile, before the annoucement in June.

The formulations for their newer water and dewy creams include dimethicone and other common fillers high in the ingredient list.  That is the same as drugstore formulations.  Though Tatcha charges much more than any drugstore brand.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The global sales of Tatcha items to other countries makes way for the cruel & inhumane practice of animal testing.