Respected Contributor

Re: Unilever purchases Tatcha

SO SAD.   I just ordered the lip balm from them and hope it's the same.  THey had a great sale, so I couldn't resist.   If it has changed, that will be it for me as well.

Contributor

Unilever has shown time and again they are not a good corporate citizen.  You can google their history.  It's a pass for me on future Tatcha purchases.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think Victoria Tsai was a silicon valley tech person before she founded Tatcha and I'm sure she is sitting pretty now that she's sold her line to Unilever. Big corporations buying up startups or popular indie brands seems to be the trend as those indie or smaller brands get private equity investors to fund them -- the payoff for those private equity investors is when that indie brand or startup is sold for big bucks -- they reap the benefit and profits. Tatcha may not have been a unicorn, but they were at least half a unicorn!

Unilever wants to get into the asian skin care market and I guess they want to jump into a well known American luxury brand as well -- hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.

Esteemed Contributor

Coty bought Proctor and Gamble's beauty division which included Clairol and Covergirl (but not Pantene) and Coty has basically ruined the Nice n' Easy and the Natural Instincts lines of hair color, in my opinion, with new, unwanted reformulations.

Covergirl and Rimmel which are both owned by Coty are such boring drugstore beauty lines. They hold on to old and uninspiring foundations, concealers, eye products, and lipsticks. The only bright spots is that Rimmel has various eyeshadow palettes and Covergirl has new foundations, concealers, and a new lip gloss line.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

Coty bought Proctor and Gamble's beauty division which included Clairol and Covergirl (but not Pantene) and Coty has basically ruined the Nice n' Easy and the Natural Instincts lines of hair color, in my opinion, with new, unwanted reformulations.

Covergirl and Rimmel which are both owned by Coty are such boring drugstore beauty lines. They hold on to old and uninspiring foundations, concealers, eye products, and lipsticks. The only bright spots is that Rimmel has various eyeshadow palettes and Covergirl has new foundations, concealers, and a new lip gloss line.

I used to use Clairol hair coloring called Perfect 10.  It suddenly was discontinued.  I wondered why.  After that, I switched to Revlon Colorsillk and never looked back.  Thank you for clearing up what was going on that caused the sudden change in product lines.

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

WOW, hope it's worth it. I have tried that line and have not bought anything twice.

Funny, me either. In fact, I switched to Elemis.

@wishmoon   I did as well!

Occasional Contributor

Here’s the response I received from Tatcha when I asked about how Tatcha would be able to keep their formulations from being degraded with the buy out.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

“Thank you so much for the honor of taking care of your skin and for taking the time to reach out! We are so lucky to have friends like you who love the brand enough to share your feedback. 

Our formulas and customer service are the heart of our brand and will not change. We chose Unilever as our forever home because they allow their Prestige beauty brands to operate independently. As a result, nothing about our day-to-day operations will be impacted by this merger, including our formulas.

Please know that you can always reach out to us as we provide full transparency in all aspects of this company!”

Best regards,
Simon
Client Care Manager

Trusted Contributor

@Lattelvr wrote:

I agree too how no product ever survives a buyout.  It will change and not for the better.  It will be cheapened in quality and yet the price will go up.

Forgot to add this, although not a beauty item, however,Unilever now owns Magnum ice cream bars and they changed them and are now awful. 

I just bought some of the pints.  The ones where you squeeze and crack the chocolate.  They were awful.

Trusted Contributor

@jello_1955 wrote:

Here’s the response I received from Tatcha when I asked about how Tatcha would be able to keep their formulations from being degraded with the buy out.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

“Thank you so much for the honor of taking care of your skin and for taking the time to reach out! We are so lucky to have friends like you who love the brand enough to share your feedback. 

Our formulas and customer service are the heart of our brand and will not change. We chose Unilever as our forever home because they allow their Prestige beauty brands to operate independently. As a result, nothing about our day-to-day operations will be impacted by this merger, including our formulas.

Please know that you can always reach out to us as we provide full transparency in all aspects of this company!”

Best regards,
Simon
Client Care Manager

I have dealt with "Simon" before.  He says what he has to say.

I also think announcing the sale before Saturday's TSV was a dumb move.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

That was her intent all along............$$$$$$....sell

So what's wrong with that?  Part of the business world.

Not really.

Some owners refuse to sell out and prefer to maintain the integrity of their business and their products.

They have a loyal customer base and that - NOT THE MONEY - is why they do not sell out.

And that would be their right and choice to sell or not. 

If you add up the number of business just within the QVC world (IT, Philosophy, Dr. Perricone, Laura Geller, Mally, etc etc etc) it most certainly is part of the business world. Those original owners are under no obligation to the consumer, yet I definitely know it is not always the end user that benefits.  However, large Capitalist Conglomerates have been gobbling up the smaller for decades.

Not mandatory but clearly done all the time.  Are you going to pass up a mega-million dollar deal?  Some will, many will not.  While their are many reasons to start up a business, making money is always high on the list.