Valued Contributor

Re: Unilever buys Paula's Choice .

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I never cared for Paula because she would put down other skincare.  I never purchased from her and never will.

My understainding was that Paula started out only as someone who analyzed skin care products and noted ingredients or products that she felt should be avoided because of the ingredients.  At some point, I guess she decided there were no longer any skincare choices that met her standards and started her own company making skincare products that met her standards.  

Problem is, for me, is that once a person has a monetary interest in you buying certain products, you can no longer be trusted to be completely truthful.  So, I never bought any of her products.  

that makes zero sense. Almost every small company started because someone couldn't find what they wanted anywhere else so they decided to make it themselves and many of them became very successful because there were others who also wanted what they created. Chaz Dean started his company because he didn't want surfactants and things like that in his product. Of course they have a monetary interest at that point, Why else would they start a company?

PC started with writing books like Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me and other books letting consumers know what is in all the products they buy and ultimately made the products herself. Nothing wrong with that IMO

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I never cared for Paula because she would put down other skincare.  I never purchased from her and never will.

My understainding was that Paula started out only as someone who analyzed skin care products and noted ingredients or products that she felt should be avoided because of the ingredients.  At some point, I guess she decided there were no longer any skincare choices that met her standards and started her own company making skincare products that met her standards.  

Problem is, for me, is that once a person has a monetary interest in you buying certain products, you can no longer be trusted to be completely truthful.  So, I never bought any of her products.  

that makes zero sense. Almost every small company started because someone couldn't find what they wanted anywhere else so they decided to make it themselves and many of them became very successful because there were others who also wanted what they created. Chaz Dean started his company because he didn't want surfactants and things like that in his product. Of course they have a monetary interest at that point, Why else would they start a company?

PC started with writing books like Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me and other books letting consumers know what is in all the products they buy and ultimately made the products herself. Nothing wrong with that IMO

@PinkSunset  Paula's series of books "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Department Without Me" and later her website Beautypedia were more than just information about ingredients.  The books reviewed and rated  products, and even had a rating for price points.  Some of the negative reviews were pretty harsh even if it was just to slam the price or the advertising claims.  When she started Paula's Choice both of her critiquing operations (books and website) were still going strong so it could be perceived as questionable how she could remain objective about brands which she was now directly competing with in the consumer market.  

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@PinkSunset I have nothing against someone taking the path that she did.  She created what she wanted and couldn't find in the market.  However, now that she has done so, she cannot both compete with other brands and still be trusted to tell the whole truth about them.  I feel the same about Chaz and Denis and anybody else who has a monetary interest in what they are telling you.  

Regular Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn  Thank you for sharing the email that you'd received from Paula's Choice.  I don't currently use PC, but it's great to know that their product line will remain cruelty-free!  Her books, including "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me," are so chockfull of useful info about various ingredients (and products) that may be more hype than helpfulness and vice versa. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Katcat1 Paula did write some books with reviews about various skin care, cosmetics and hair care products, however, she did mention in the books when she believed a product to be helpful (or not) with certain ingredents.  I don't personally use her product line, but I've learned so much about certain ingredients and chemicals that may be harmful to the skin, for instance, or such ingredients or products that may not produce much change, if at all.  She would also rate both drugstore brands and those purchased from the department store.

Super Contributor

@MW in Iowa No. They test on Geishas :

Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice is my skincare line that has given me the most benefits.  

This is bad news to me.  In general I do not like Unalever products.  They changed Ponds and not for the better. Smiley Sad