Super Contributor

Re: Undereye bags gone, now have dark hollows

On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:

I use Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer. I have dark under eye circles and I am in my early 60's. I have tried almost EVERYTHING and this is my favorite so far. The concealer comes in 20 shades (warm and cool) so you can find your exact match which I think is very important since I don't put foundation or powder over it. You should try it in the store for your perfect match--Sephora carries it. I also find that it is very opaque and is buildable and doesn't crease. HTH!

turtle52, I will do a search on that brand as it is a new one to me. And there's a Sephora near me, thanks.

Respected Contributor

Lesley, thanks so much for starting this thread! I had the bags under my eyes removed when I was about thirty-two. They made me look so tired all the time. They're genetic and my mother had them and they just got worse and worse as she aged. She said hers were no longer bags, they were suitcases. The hollows you described have developed since I've gotten older. Did your derm's nurse give you any details about fillers or did she change the subject when you recoiled in horror, lol?! Does anyone have any experience with Juvederm or Restylane as fillers under the eyes?

BellaCarro, I have some yellow concealer from YBF with the matching pressed powder but haven't tried it yet. The texture of the concealer seems kind of dry and stiff to me. I guess it could be mixed with a little moisturizer. What do you think?

turtle, I'll have to look into the Amazing Cosmetics concealer. I shop mostly at Ulta, but might have to go to Sephora to find it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

Watching Jamie demo that, I ordered and wanted to love it, but the thickness doesn't work for me, and on my skin it does dry up, crease and show wrinkles like crazy. Thanks though.

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2014 Silver Lining said:

Lesley, thanks so much for starting this thread! I had the bags under my eyes removed when I was about thirty-two. They made me look so tired all the time. They're genetic and my mother had them and they just got worse and worse as she aged. She said hers were no longer bags, they were suitcases. The hollows you described have developed since I've gotten older. Did your derm's nurse give you any details about fillers or did she change the subject when you recoiled in horror, lol?! Does anyone have any experience with Juvederm or Restylane as fillers under the eyes?

BellaCarro, I have some yellow concealer from YBF with the matching pressed powder but haven't tried it yet. The texture of the concealer seems kind of dry and stiff to me. I guess it could be mixed with a little moisturizer. What do you think?

turtle, I'll have to look into the Amazing Cosmetics concealer. I shop mostly at Ulta, but might have to go to Sephora to find it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hi SilverLining, the nurse had also had her bags removed and she said her brother had too, but I didn't ask about the fillers at that time because my DH was with me and the thought of even more $ being spent was not going to be a happy subject. Also I'm a little squeamish about injections into that area, plus it would not be a one time fix. I do want to try fillers in my nose to cheek area but that will need to wait til next year.

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2014 pdxlalesley said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said: I've had that procedure done a couple of times -- works UNTIL YOU GAIN WEIGHT again -- aarrrgh! Serves me right. :-) But now I'm at the age where I NEED some fat padding in my face, and I know exactly what you're experiencing. I've yet to find one that truly covers the darkness. I thought Laura Mercer worked for a while, but no longer. I'm thinking maybe Dermablend? Let's see with the wonderful women and men here have to say. :-)

No MarenSeattle, say it isn't so! They didn't tell me fat might re-deposit! I will never be thin. I think I weigh about the same as when I had the procedures done. Oh well.

They didn't tell me, either! Thankfully I was going in for a nose job and he said he'd just do them again :-)

After the second time, I haven't gained (much) weight, so no fatty deposits have reappeared, now, like the OP, it's the hollows! Can't win for losing, ya know? :-)

Respected Contributor

On 1/31/2014 pdxlalesley said:
On 1/31/2014 Silver Lining said:

Hi SilverLining, the nurse had also had her bags removed and she said her brother had too, but I didn't ask about the fillers at that time because my DH was with me and the thought of even more $ being spent was not going to be a happy subject. Also I'm a little squeamish about injections into that area, plus it would not be a one time fix. I do want to try fillers in my nose to cheek area but that will need to wait til next year.

It sounds like maybe she's had the under eye fillers but, hey, she most likely gets hers free. The cosmetic surgeon who put a dab of juvederm in my lower lip does fat transfer for lips and under eyes, but those are irreversible. I would be terrified. I was very, very nervous with the little bit of juvederm injection. For me, it hurt A LOT, even with a dental block, topical anesthetic gel, and the assistant holding my hand. I'm afraid to ask how much the Restylane would hurt.

Meant to say Restylane injected in the eye hollows. I hope someone whose had it done will see this and give advice.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 turtle52 said:
On 1/31/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 1/31/2014 aprildreams said:

It Bye Bye Undereye concealer ......I use a brush to apply it. It covers everything and doesn't cake or crease.

There are two different undereye coverage products, aren't there? Have you used both? I keep meaning to try that, and I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder -- next on my list!

I have tried both--It's Concealer AND corrector . My main problem with them is that there are limited shades so it was impossible for me to get a good color match. As I wrote above, Amazing Cosmetics Concealer is my concealer of choice.

I was just going to thank you for your Amazing Cosmetics recommendation -- I'm going to check it out. Thanks!!

You're welcome! I really LOVE it! Oh, BTW, I also THINK that Ulta carries it.

Just a tip because it is expensive: I bought it during the holidays with Sephora's 20% off offer. Once you find your perfect match, if you don't want to pay full price, Google it because there are websites that carry it and they offer 20% off pretty regularly.

Also, especially if you have dark circles, I find that you need to go darker than you might think. I wear Light in most foundations but I bought this in Medium Beige. The lighter colors did NOT give me enough coverage. Good luck and let me know what you think after you get it.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I am so lucky. When I came down with hypothyroidism, the bags under my eyes looked like water buckets. It aged me ten years. I went to my friend's cosmetic surgeon and he removed them completely. It was such a nothing surgery, I had a bruise under one eye for about two days, and the stitches removed in three days. My eyes were perfect, the bags have never returned, and I have no dark discoloration, and not even a single wrinkle.

I had them done when I was 50 and I am now 76, so that was one of the best things I ever did for myself vanity-wise. I don't remember how much it cost, it was under $1,000, but it was sure worth it. It all depends on the individual and the surgeon I guess.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Concealers don't seem to help with my dark circles. What works for me is an eye brightener pen, but you said you've tried Touche Eclat so I am at a loss. I use a cheap one by Avon that works wonders.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/31/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Concealers don't seem to help with my dark circles. What works for me is an eye brightener pen, but you said you've tried Touche Eclat so I am at a loss. I use a cheap one by Avon that works wonders.

Concealer helps with MY dark circles, but you HAVE to find the right one and more importantly, the RIGHT COLOR.