Respected Contributor

Re: Underarm Hair

[ Edited ]

My college roommate had porcelain skin and masses of almost black hair. That also meant she shaved her legs twice a day if she had a date, and had a very noticeable mustache, dark arm hair, and the armpit issue. Waxing was the only thing that helped her as a poor college student. She later did electrolysis.

Honored Contributor

I had laser hair removal (armpits and upper lip) done years ago and the hair never came back. Best thing I ever did. 

Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem when I shaved.  I started using an epilator on my legs and underarms many years ago and not only did that solve the problem for me but I seldom need to use it anymore.  I must add this is a learned feeling like plucking your eyebrows it hurts less and less the more you do it.  In my younger days I was a dark haired brunette with very light skin.  I never had a lot of body hair but it was dark and I think shaving made it more noticeable but what mother could tell a young teenager what not to do!

Respected Contributor

Another vote for lasering. 

That shadow is the hint of dark hair the razor doesn't get.

I had my underarms lasered years ago and my skin there is perfectly smooth without a hint of shadow.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have always had this issue.  My skin in pasty white and my hair is black.  The shadow of black hair was always there.

i had better things to worry about and since I didn't haven my pits showing very often, it didn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I can honestly say I've never, ever heard of 5 o'clock shadow in that area.  I just never thought to check.  This is the first I've heard anyone talk about this. I mean it's not a visible area unless you wear sleeveless blouses year-round.

@Equuleus When I was much younger and had dark hair, legs and armpit hair seemed to grow by the minute and if wore sleeveless at night, had to shave again. Now, the growth has slowed down...moved to chin (lol), so only shave once a week. Although I work out with weights, my 70 yr. old arms are not great enough for sleeveless anymore. 

Respected Contributor
I’ve honestly never thought about this.
Honored Contributor

@kelshar wrote:

I do get full bikini waxings. Let me tell you, that's worth it. My hair was CRAZY down there before I got waxings. There still some that grows back but not like it used to.

@kelshar  I had a Brazilian just once...almost only 1/2 of a Brazilian & was ready to run for the door. I’m sure they heard me screaming two states away. OMG!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Underarm Hair

[ Edited ]

I'm 99% hairless from my cheekbones downWoman Wink. Had to do it mainly because of health issues with my AI condition. The hair had to go or else my mind would have taken that route instead. The itching was unbearable.

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I never have had to shave my underarms & rarely have to shave my legs.  No hair there.

me too. i shave my legs maybe once a year. can't remember last time i shaved my pits. very fine blonde hair there. we must be lucky.