Honored Contributor

Re: Under eye makeup question

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie  They could be doing several things but if you use a concealer one shade lighter than your foundation you will get that look.  A highlighter would give you shimmer and I doubt you want that.  Highlighters are better on the cheekbones.

Go to HSN.com and go to Trish McEvoy.  Select the Planner for $145.00 and watch the video.  It gives a demonstration of the Triangle of Light under the eyes.  You may be interested in purchasing the product (not the planner).

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont watch beauty shows regularly but when I have the models have some type of makeup on under their eyes to hide the dark circles.  On TV it looks light and bright.  I have noticed this on several shows not just for one particular product.

I really like the look and would like to know if anyone knows what product they use?

@Imaoldhippie   If you notice, most of the models are fairly young and probably do not have much of an issue with darkening under the eyes. Any of those that do have dark circles, most likely do wear corrector (Bobbi Brown has an iconic one) with a lightweight concealer on top. There are also products called "eye brighteners" which are thinner than concealers to be applied alone if only slight discoloration or over the corrector I mentioned. BB has a good concealer in a pot, NARS makes a good Creamy Concealer w/ doe foot in a tube.

Keep in mind that many of us have darkness caused by heredity or deep "tear troughs"...the dark valleys that form under the eyes. Models, celebrities and others are now choosing to use fillers in that area which takes away that dark shadowing. People who appear regularly on TV use a heavier undereye product called "newscaster blue". It counteracts the dark circles by being the opposite color on the color wheel. You can find it at pro makeup stores. Adrienne Arpel makes one in her wheel of concealer shades, too. Drugstores carry a yellow, peach or green, etc. selection of correctors. A peachy shade can will counteract darkness under concealer. It's important to use a cream under eyes night and day to keep this area moisturized so using products underneath the eye will have less chance of creasing. Hope some of this info. is helpful.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus ......thanks for your information.  It all sounds so complicated and expensive.  I just want something to lighten and cover my dark circles.  They have gotten worse with age and due to facial bruising I had a few years ago.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Shanus ......thanks for your information.  It all sounds so complicated and expensive.  I just want something to lighten and cover my dark circles.  They have gotten worse with age and due to facial bruising I had a few years ago.

@Imaoldhippie   Sorry to go into such confusing detail. For your bruising, nothing beats Bobbi Brown's Corrector (a pinky/peach shade that's thicker than concealer and hides most of the issue). The concealer must be worn on top to blend this color into the shade of your foundation. Shorter and sweeter explanation, I hope. 

Respected Contributor

I find that a light minty green concealer stick works wonders under the eyes- Physicians Formula makes a good one

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suffer from terrible under eye darkness.  I now use a concealer followed by the Mary Kay Under Eye Corrector.  Both products do the trick for me.  I have tried multiple concealers on their own but could never completely get coverage.  

I'm not one that likes my eye area "bright" as in ligher than the rest of my face.  If you do, a yellow concealer works well to cover dark circles.

One of the biggest issues I was having was using a concealer that was too light in color so it didn't provide the coverage I needed and just looked off for me.   Or I would buy one too dark and that looked horrible.  I finally got color matched at Sephora. 

There are a lot of great concealers out there.  Tarte's Shape Tape is good but you absolutely must get the sponge and wet it and stipple the concealer in.  I wasn't doing that and I hated the concealer.  I am now used Too Faced Born This Way which I really like.  It comes in a glass jar about the size of some foundations and it has a sponge applicator.       

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie 

If you are looking for an affordably-priced, top-rated (by thousands of users) concealer then I would check out

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer. 
It comes with a sponge-tip applicator and I would just pull that tip off by tugging on it. Product comes out by twisting it up. Then use your own brush or fingertip. You don't need much at all. The Neutralizer shade is universal. Product is like a thick liquid foundation, doesn't crease and stays on all day. Use with or w/o setting powder. 

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer - about $6
s-l400.jpg
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee ...........thanks I will definitely check this out.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, if I can just make a suggestion on that Maybelline product, I would try it with the sponge tip first and see how you like it.  That is a good product.  I forgot about that.

But I made the mistake of pulling the sponge off and didn't like it after that.  I liked it with the sponge. I could still put it on and then use a brush to actually finish the application.  

That is just me.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

I hate that sponge! It's the gross factor of a sponge that I don't care for. Woman Tongue But if it works for you then that's all that matters.Woman Happy