Frequent Contributor

My husband and I are getting ready to move and I am currently without a hair dresser.  I was going to wait until after our move but I couldn't stand my roots anymore.

I decided to try Ulta.  I booked the appointment online and it showed a quote of $189.00 for full highlights, haircut and style.  It said that this was subject to change once I met with the hair dresser.  Since we just moved from Southern California to Arizona (we're temporarily in an apt.)  where the cost of living is much less, I thought the price would be lower.  Nope.  It was higher.  $241.00!!  Are you kidding??  This doesn't include a tip.

I ended up getting a partial highlight for $167.00 which she later lowered to $147.00 because she ended up not using a toner.  I'm used to paying $130.00.  She said that she has nothing to do with setting the price but she always does the quote first thing because people are surprised at the prices.

The good news is that she did do a good job but it wasn't worth the price.  I hope I find better prices when we move into our house.

It's the little things.
Honored Contributor

@sheilababe,  Try an Aveda salon.  Go to Aveda.com to find salon locations.  Hopefully, you will ave better luck.  Plus, all Aveda products are used.  Another thing is when you are out and about in AZ and see a woman with a great haircut or color, ask her where she gets her hair done.  I have relatives in AZ but I can't take the heat.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I went to the Ulta Salon for a while because I really like the stylist. The price was high, but there was usually a special that saved some money & I did rack up some Ulta Points.

Honored Contributor

Wowza, that's a lot of money! You could probably do a lot better at a small salon. Also I bet a place like Ulta has a big turnover of stylists, if you liked her she may not be there when you want to schedule another appointment. 

Frequent Contributor

We have friends in the area we're moving to so I hope to get a good referral.

I was surprised when she told me she has been with Ulta for 11 years.  She's very happy with them.

It's the little things.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ulta's Salon

[ Edited ]

There is a salon called Waves if you are near Scottsdale and Shea. Talk to Donna. I get a hair cut, dyed and my husband gets his hair done and for both she charges $135.00

Honored Contributor

My hair girl of 15 years had carpal tunnel surgery and decided not come back-----now am in search of another hair dresser!! The going rate for hair cuts where I am, starts at $35 and goes up for cuts--the color prices are triple that!!! I HATE paying so much $$ for keeping my hair looking decent---just a pet peeve---You never find the right cutter the first time. And my "old" girl worked at a Hairmasters---yes I know, but she was excellent at her cuts and especially her coloring and I paid so much less. Grrrrrr!