Esteemed Contributor

Ulta high end mascara brushes

I went to Ulta a couple of weeks ago to see if they had the Lancome  monsieur big mascara  yet. I have seen such good reviews for it that I wanted to pick one up or even just a sample. Well it was too early and it hadn't been release yet but the Ulta associate asked me if I wanted to try the Lancome Hypnose. I declined because one thing I think is very important in trying out a mascara is the brush. In the past they use the disposable ones, all of which are the same and not the greatest to be honest so you cannot get a feel for how the mascara truly works. To me that is like 90% of what makes a good mascara. 

When I told her that she said oh we have the disposable applicators that are like the ones that come in the tubes of mascara. She pulled out the tray and each mascara had the corresponding disposable brush. The Hypnose Drama had the "S" shaped brush and had the same fullness, the Definicils had the tapered very narrow Christmas tree like brush, etc... 

I just never knew that and was pleasant surprised so I thought I would share for those who maybe didn't know either. I meant to ask if this was the case for every mascara line but my grandson started to get antsy so it slipped my mind. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ulta high end mascara brushes

When I use a mascara that has a applicator brush that I really love, I keep the brush when I toss the mascara.  These tiny brushes are very useful for combing thru lashes and brows, cleaning under fingernails, etc., in addition to being used over and over again to apply different brands of mascara.  They can be washed with soap and water for re-use.  I have a supply of old mascara brush applicators in my makeup drawer.  Very handy!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

That Lancome mascara won't be in Ulta until 7/26. I was curious about what that particular brush looked like...really full! So, it's supposed to deliver full looking lashes, which is what I want, opposed to length.

Nice to know you can get the brushes separately!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for that info @Irshgrl31201. A nearby Ulta recently added a Lancôme section and I am thrilled because that one is a lot closer to me than a more distant one that has a Lancôme section.  

I asked also about the Mr. Big mascara and was told the same thing 7/26 availability but was told that the travel sized ones would be available for sale for $5 as well. The S/A had it on and it looked very nice, I happened to have on the L'Oreal Lash Paradise and she liked it on me. 

I might consider the travel sized one before deciding to commit to the full sized one.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

When I use a mascara that has a applicator brush that I really love, I keep the brush when I toss the mascara.  These tiny brushes are very useful for combing thru lashes and brows, cleaning under fingernails, etc., in addition to being used over and over again to apply different brands of mascara.  They can be washed with soap and water for re-use.  I have a supply of old mascara brush applicators in my makeup drawer.  Very handy!

Me too @tototwo!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Thanks for that info @Irshgrl31201. A nearby Ulta recently added a Lancôme section and I am thrilled because that one is a lot closer to me than a more distant one that has a Lancôme section.  

I asked also about the Mr. Big mascara and was told the same thing 7/26 availability but was told that the travel sized ones would be available for sale for $5 as well. The S/A had it on and it looked very nice, I happened to have on the L'Oreal Lash Paradise and she liked it on me. 

I might consider the travel sized one before deciding to commit to the full sized one.

I just recently got the Lash Paradise too @JustJazzmom. That is the one that is new and supposed to be a dupe for Better than Sex Mascara, right? I wanted to try out the sample too but they didn't even have the $5 samples. I was kind of late in hearing about it so I guess they flew out the door.

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

That Lancome mascara won't be in Ulta until 7/26. I was curious about what that particular brush looked like...really full! So, it's supposed to deliver full looking lashes, which is what I want, opposed to length.

Nice to know you can get the brushes separately!

It is really nice and full @Harpa. To be honest, I need another mascara like I need a hole in the head. I have a bunch I have that I really like but for some reason am always in search of the Holy Grail. lol!

JFK
Respected Contributor

I've been using Monsieur Big mascara for several weeks now, had a sample from Ulta and received the full size from HSN.  Love it!  The brush is big, but it works great, even on lower lashes using the end of it.  

My lashes have more volume than I've ever achieved in just one coat and two coats are fabulous.  It is easy to remove (Lancome Bifacil remover), doesn't irritate my eyes, and has not smudged or flaked.  So far......!