Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ulta Selling Returned Products?

I can't defend reselling used cosmetics, but it has been my experience with Ulta that all returns are placed in a box to be sorted for return to the brand distributer.  Of course that's the planned scenario and since I'm do not actually work in an Ulta store I cannot validate that some things don't find their way back to the shelf.  What I cna say is I've never purchased anything which appeared to have ever been opened or used.  

I will add this whether it's Ulta or anyother store... don't buy anything in packaging which looks like it's been handled as in opened.  Even if the product was only opened for a look at the color and not touched (due to not having a tester color available and something department store counter clerks do more than they should), my advice is to take a pass and look elsewhere for the color.   

Super Contributor

I worked in a department store cosmetic department eons ago and all returns were given back to the cosmetics companies. We had to complete a form noting what was returned and the return went against our commission earned. If we ever had issues with whether or not to return something, we called a manager over who pretty much always took the return, even if it wasn't something the store hadn't sold (and yes one time that was a used epilator *yuckiness factor to the moon and beyond!!!*)

Of course that was a long time ago as I said ...

And it's got to be breaking a myriad of health laws re-selling used stuff.

Honored Contributor

I think there should be a law where cosmetics should be sealed and not returned if the seal is broken. I am talking about eye shadow and lipsticks and other coloring products

Valued Contributor

wrote:

The Ulta near me opens a returned product to see if it's been used.  Probably as a result of the lawsuit. 

Well, maybe or they could be opening it to determine whether or not it can be put back on the shelf.  They probably base it in how much product they think has been used.

I no longer trust Ulta or Sephora -  and have questions about Belk and Macy's,

Respected Contributor

I think they and other stores mark down used beaut products

Valued Contributor

t was also on the news this morning!

cathyy from ma

Honored Contributor

When I worked behind the counter full time and then part time during holiday seasons; the routine went as follows:

1) Did you use this?

If yes, it was damaged out instantly and thrown into a specific drawer where the manager would weekly collect it and do whatever she did but it was GONE.

If no (which most people claimed even though you could tell it was), it was put to the side and then looked at very carefully. 99% of the time it was obvious or something felt off, so again, into the damaged drawer it went. OBVIOUSLY, if it was sealed/not unwrapped, it went back onto the shelf to be resold.

People complain about Neiman's, Saks, Bergdorf and Barneys having VERY strict return policy's when it comes to cosmetics but I've always applauded them as you would NOT BELIEVE THE STUNTS people play when it comes to returning skincare and makeup. I never cared if you did use it and then return it, I just needed to know in order to damage it out- no judgement from me. It's also why I'm a huge believer in handing out samples because you need to see if the color works at home/if the skincare will break you out.

If we had the return policy of Europe, we wouldn't need to discuss this; NO returns for ANY reason, not even if the SA give yous the wrong product. Stores pulling this stunt and customers taking advantage of a policy is going to make this happen here, just watch.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyzwrote:

I think they and other stores mark down used beaut products

@kcladyz, I seriously doubt that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland