Respected Contributor

Ulta Selling Returned Products?

I got an e-mail about this situation. Has anyone heard this before or now? Thanks

I was thinking if they do this, how many others places sell returned products.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ulta Selling Returned Products?

I've returned items to an Ulta store but they only ask if I've used them? Yes/No.  

They have never once opened an item to check so my guess is that it's possible.

Now I'm thinking who checks items returned in the mail?

Respected Contributor

Sephora does.  I recent got an expensive hair product that had obvious been opened- box was damaged.  The finial proof was there was someone else's hair on the item!!

Trusted Contributor

I read an article yesterday about former Ulta employees that said that they were taught what to do do make a used item like lipstick, eye shadow, foundation stick, etc. look like it had never been used and then forced to put it back on the shelf (and products were not sanitized).

The article said that Ulta said they were investigating the claims.

I understand if things that aren't used are put back on the shelf but to think a lipstick might have been used and purposefully made to look new is maddening (and gross).  

Regular Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

I got an e-mail about this situation. Has anyone heard this before or now? Thanks

@VenturaHighway - who was your email from? Would you mind sharing it?  I have just recently returned some items to Ulta and the Ulta employee opened the box and checked the palette inside, which makes sense, could you imagine if I had depotted the shadows and just returned the packaging?! Of course, I didn't do that. But I think it's good that she checked. The other 2 items I returned were in "clamshell" packaging and it was obvious that I had not opened those. 

Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

I took a serum back a couple yrs ago. Only tried it once and put it right back in the box. The sales girl looked at it, boxed it up and while i was browsing at other items I watched her put it right back on the shelf for resale.

Before seeing that I assumed maybe they used returns for demonstrations ?

I dont assume anymore.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

@deja vu wrote:

I took a serum back a couple yrs ago. Only tried it once and put it right back in the box. The sales girl looked at it, boxed it up and while i was browsing at other items I watched her put it right back on the shelf for resale.

Before seeing that I assumed maybe they used returns for demonstrations ?

I dont assume anymore.

@deja vu  If anyone sees used products put back on shelves, call them on it and/or report to health inspectors in your area. That’s how staph infections and other yucky stuff (professional term)  is spread!

Honored Contributor

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but if there isn't a law against selling used cosmetics, there should be.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@VenturaHighway

You got an email from WHO ?

There's a big difference between a RETURNED product and a USED product.

If something was returned (unused) because they didn't want it, would you really expect them to just throw it out?  Makes no sense to me.  Why shouldn't they be able to resell it?