Respected Contributor

Ulta Online Orders -- Free Samples (& Review of Hask Macadamia Oil S&C)

I love having the option to select free samples when ordering online from Ulta.  And I've read here that Sephora often either doesn't honor sample requests or sometimes leaves them out entirely.  I have to say, Ulta is very good about including them, and that's just one more reason I prefer shopping there these days.

What I don't love is that lately, I keep getting the same category of sample, and it's rarely anything I'm interested in.  If you're not familiar, Ulta lets you select free samples from 1 of 3 categories: Skincare, Fragrance, or Variety.  I am not interested in getting solely either Skincare or Fragrance, so I always select "Variety."  The last FIVE orders I have placed, this meant I got samples of shampoo and conditioner.  Ugh.  I don't use shampoo Woman Wink and am perfectly happy with my hair cleansing/conditioning products at the moment.  I wouldn't mind getting that sometimes mixed in with other things...but not every single order! 

I'm curious if anyone else opts for the Variety samples...are you always getting shampoo and conditioner too?  Or has Ulta targeted me as someone interested in this because of my purchasing behavior there?  If it's the latter, their algorithm has failed Woman LOL

With my order last week, I finally got a S&C sample that was sulfate free, so I was willing to try it out.  As the thread title promised, the sample I tried was of Hask Macadamia Oil Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner.  I really liked the smell of both (a nice, light vanilla fragrance).  The shampoo cleaned well and the conditioner had very nice slip and rinsed out nicely.  The samples were generously sized at 10ml, which was enough shampoo to cleanse and enough conditioner for that step (but not enough to also use as a leave-in).

I'm not wowed with how my hair looks today though.  My curls didn't clump as nicely even with using my normal WEN Fig leave-in and using extra gel, and the hair is slipperier than normal, so it won't stay back in my headband and keeps getting in my face. It looks good, shiny and bouncy...I just don't like how it's a bit fuzzier/less-defined and won't stay back off my face.

So I won't be purchasing this S&C.  And I might have to just start alternating between Skincare and Fragrance samples so that I don't keep just getting more S&C.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ulta Online Orders -- Free Samples (& Review of Hask Macadamia Oil S&C)

They sent me the Hask Argon Shampoo and Conditioner samples a couple years ago, and they've become the primary products I use for my hair.  They work well for me.

Respected Contributor

@ItsMEwrote:

They sent me the Hask Argon Shampoo and Conditioner samples a couple years ago, and they've become the primary products I use for my hair.  They work well for me.

I'm glad it worked out like that for you!  I did really enjoy the scent of the products, and my hair was clean and detangled. 

Respected Contributor

I got my order last week and I selected variety and I got lipstick samples. None of the colors I liked so I thew  it in the trash. I wouldn't mind getting shampoo and conditioner.

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmamawrote:

I got my order last week and I selected variety and I got lipstick samples. None of the colors I liked so I thew  it in the trash. I wouldn't mind getting shampoo and conditioner.

I wish we could trade! I never get makeup samples :/