Regular Contributor

I also am sensitive to chemical fragrances as are many people. Companies should not be allowed to invade our mailboxes with this intrusion, as it IS a real health risk. Time to write letters to our Congressmen to propose a bill, seriously!

Respected Contributor
No problems with mine. Had 4 inserts but nothing overwhelming in the least.
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/14/2015 BaileyBop said:

I don't think anything with fragrance should be placed in the mail. I hear stories about this all the time. Those mailings even bother the people who deliver it to you.

From a customer perspective, it never made sense to me that they send several at a time. The fragrances compete with each other- you don't get a true sense. When I go through my mail I toss most catalogs- but if there are ones I want to look through I toss the fragranced items immediately. The smell is so strong, really nauseating!

How scary revisiting asthma, I hope you're feeling better!

Frequent Contributor

I smelled that ad from a mile away. I didn't even open the catalog; I threw it straight into the trash. I'm sorry you had to go through such a reaction.

For some reason, I don't have a problem with magazines having those inserts; I don't smell them unless I open them.

Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad reaction. Personally, that's the only reason I get the Ulta catalog. I look forward to the perfume strips more than anything else. Plus, I am so fearful of losing any that I actually hug the catalog to me while bringing in the mail. I'm sure it's comical, but I am super-serious about my perfume strips. I use them for bookmarks - even in my pocket calendar; as deodorizers in the zip sections of my purses; in correspondence, etc... Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed it was strong and threw it out before opening it.

Does anyone know which samples were inside? I didn't even bother to look, but now I'm curious as to which fragrances they were.

Respected Contributor

It's so unfortunate that there are people who are so sensitive to fragrances. Retail is always going to cater to the majority. I recently threw out a stack of those inserts. I use them to scent the trash can, and I get way more than I can use.

Respected Contributor

Hope you're feeling better.

Trusted Contributor

I saw this thread before my catalog came in the mail and I was glad because it was a particularly stinky catalog! I threw the perfume samples right in the garbage and waited for the smell to dissipate before I looked through it.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

That is terrible! I have allergies/asthma too and cant tolerate strong perfume and smoke etc.

I hate that magazines and even bills now have inserts with perfume. Why do they do this??

Even when you rip the inserts out right away that stink lingers. Some magazines have had not just one but 4 or 5. That is overkill anyway!

I have called the magazines that I receive and asked to be on the list for ones with

no inserts. It is nice to get them without all these strong perfumes!!!!

I only get 3 magazines and they don't put the inserts in Country Living and I am not renewing any of my magazines when the subscriptions run out. I don't really read them

much anyway.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller