Super Contributor

Ugh, My hair color came out too dark

I colored my hair this weekend and didn't realize I didn't have my 6N color that I mix with my 5 Chocolate brown,  The color is not bad, but darker than I want.  I have been washing using Aveno Apple cider Clarifying Shampoo. Not really helping.  I've read to use regular apple cider vinegar.  I bought Mixed Chicks conditioner to help with any drying/ damage from the extra washing.  Thinking of having my girl cut an inch or so off, not sure.  Well it will eventually fade.  At least I know my brand Naturtints covers well.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh, My hair color came out too dark

[ Edited ]

You could try a hair gloss or a John Frieda color depositing shampoo or conditioner.

I've used Redken Shades EQ at the salon and at home (eBay purchase) and it will give some toning to your color. John Frieda products are quite good too.

There are some glosses at Target as well.

Respected Contributor

I always figure it will fade and it does way too soon.

Honored Contributor

@TerryNJ   When I used to color my hair dark and the result was darker than planned, I'd wash a few times w/ a sulfate shampoo, clarifying shampoo or DAWN. Worked like a charm.

Respected Contributor

My hair stylist retired last fall.  😢😢😢. I had been going to her since 1984!

She gave me my color numbers and I gave them to my new stylist.  But the new stylist uses a different brand of color.  It seems to be a couple of shades darker, so I will ask her to tweak it on my next visit.

I did get some clarifying shampoo and it has helped to lighten it.  I hope we can get it right next time!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@TerryNJ .............stop using a clarifying shampoo so much.  It will damage your hair, advise from a professional, not me.  Clarifying shampoo's should only be used once or twice a month.  You are doing more damage to your hair, let it be.

Your hair will will fade in time, meanwhile enjoy something different.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie 

Thanks for that!  I have been using it about every other shampoo!  Will cut back on it as I do not want to damage my hair.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Prell shampoo will fade hair coloring in just one or two washes. I had a hairdresser tell me that and it's true.

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

Back in the 80's my hairdresser mixed my color incorrectly. She washed my hair with old-fashioned powdered Tide. I thought that might give you a chuckle. Go with the Prell. It seems like a safer option.

As for your color, mine was 7WR in Color Charm. It made the most beautiful color combined with the natural red in my hair. For a while when I wore my hair darker, I mixed it with 6N.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

My hair stylist retired last fall.  😢😢😢. I had been going to her since 1984!

She gave me my color numbers and I gave them to my new stylist.  But the new stylist uses a different brand of color.  It seems to be a couple of shades darker, so I will ask her to tweak it on my next visit.

I did get some clarifying shampoo and it has helped to lighten it.  I hope we can get it right next time!

Yup, that happens. A 6n in one line can be darker in another. Goldwell color runs soooooo dark, where as Paul Mitchell color is right on. Tea tree shampoo will take that excess color right out. But I agree with another poster....don't use harsh shampoos to strip the color. Your hair will turn to straw. It's already processed. Try conditioning. Olaplex for one would be great.