Honored Contributor

I purchased a bottle of this.

The reason I bought this is because somewhere I read that it has skin-lightening/evening properties.

Does anyone have any experience with this ingredient?

So far, I believe it is working!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I purchased a bottle of this.

The reason I bought this is because somewhere I read that it has skin-lightening/evening properties.

Does anyone have any experience with this ingredient?

So far, I believe it is working!

@LTT1   There are many products with UVB UVA as an ingreient for sun protection to keep skin form getting dark areas. I haven't heard of URS. Maybe @Sillimee can weigh in on this. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1   The only "proven" lightening ingredient I rely on and see that it works (also recommended by derms) is hydroquinone 4%. That's what I use and trust. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus UVA UVB are the different bands of Ultraviolet light that can cause skin damage.  Sunscreen ingredients protect against UVA and UVB rays.

@LTT1 Uva Ursi Leaf is an antiseptic, astringent and antioxidant which can also be used for skin lightening. The astringent quality of Uva Ursi Leaves are useful as an ingredient in formulations for face and body washes.

However, the Uva Ursi product sold by itself is actually meant to treat urinary tract infections.  Uva ursi, or bearberry, is an herbal supplement that is shown to be effective in treating urinary tract infections. 

It's the same ingredient, but I would check the label to see what else is in the product which is meant to be ingested, not smeared on your face.  If you do decide to use it, I would just add a drop to a moisturizer or something rather than using it straight from the bottle.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Shanus UVA UVB are the different bands of Ultraviolet light that can cause skin damage.  Sunscreen ingredients protect against UVA and UVB rays.

@LTT1 Uva Ursi Leaf is an antiseptic, astringent and antioxidant which can also be used for skin lightening. The astringent quality of Uva Ursi Leaves are useful as an ingredient in formulations for face and body washes.

However, the Uva Ursi product sold by itself is actually meant to treat urinary tract infections.  Uva ursi, or bearberry, is an herbal supplement that is shown to be effective in treating urinary tract infections. 

It's the same ingredient, but I would check the label to see what else is in the product which is meant to be ingested, not smeared on your face.  If you do decide to use it, I would just add a drop to a moisturizer or something rather than using it straight from the bottle.

@Icegoddess   More than familiar with protection from sun's harmful rays, but don't keep up with many "herbal supplements" since many are not FDA approved I can't recommend them or would not use them. 

The proof of the pudding was my attempt to take biotin for nails....My doc said NO because it interferes with my thyroid meds. Never took anoter supplement except my Centrum Silver vitamins which has everything I need in there. I get everything else from a healthy diet. 

Products for the face and body...FDA approved only and I still check with my PCP before taking or doing anything new. If not harmful in any way, I may recommend it to clients, but with caution. 

Honored Contributor

Uva ursi is also called bearberry because bears like to eat the fruit from the evergreen shrub. I think that is a cute name...lol! Latin word for bear is ursa. Here in Colorado bearberry is known as kinnikinnick.

I didn't know it could lighten the skin. Thanks for the heads up @LTT1 

Uva ursi contains natural hydroquinone (aka arbutin).

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess   More than familiar with protection from sun's harmful rays, but don't keep up with many "herbal supplements" since many are not FDA approved I can't recommend them or would not use them. 

The proof of the pudding was my attempt to take biotin for nails....My doc said NO because it interferes with my thyroid meds. Never took anoter supplement except my Centrum Silver vitamins which has everything I need in there. I get everything else from a healthy diet. 

Products for the face and body...FDA approved only and I still check with my PCP before taking or doing anything new. If not harmful in any way, I may recommend it to clients, but with caution. 

@Shanus I take Biotin and it doesn't affect my thyroid meds.  My doctor knows I take it.  What it will do is mess with your test results if Biotin is the assay used for the test.  I just stop taking it a few days before I get a blood draw and it's out of my system since it P's out.  It would be important to tell them if you have to get an emergency blood draw though so they would know your results miight not be correct.

Here's a quote from GoodRX:  Biotin doesn't interfere with your thyroid medication, but it does interfere with your thyroid blood test and can mess up your numbers. Stop taking biotin at least 2 days before having a TSH blood test done.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Yes, I know she told to not take it weeks ahead of blood tests, but there's also enough in my multivitamin, so why bother? I don't like to take any meds/supplements not absolutely needed. My doc feels that I get what I need from my veggies, fruits and protein which, to me, is way healthier than taking a pill...no offense meant. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess   Yes, I know she told to not take it weeks ahead of blood tests, but there's also enough in my multivitamin, so why bother? I don't like to take any meds/supplements not absolutely needed. My doc feels that I get what I need from my veggies, fruits and protein which, to me, is way healthier than taking a pill...no offense meant. 

@Shanus I probably have a terrible diet.  I'm a very picky eater and I just don't like most veggies.  I can certainly tell a difference in how quickly my fingernails grow (although I take it more for my hair), so I know it has an effect.  I prefer taking individual supplements rather than an all-in-one mulit.

Honored Contributor
@Icegoddess

Thank you!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~