Honored Contributor

Well, it's been several months without coloring roots. They're coming in all white except at the neckline I have a few light brown hairs mixed in w/ white. 

The freedom is astounding! I have appointments set up every 5 wks. to keep my short haircut in check, but no looking in the mirror at dark hair "skunked" with white stripes every 2 weeks. If I can't make a haircut appt., reschedule...no problem. With my dark hair, I lived from 3 wk. retouch appts. to the next and have gone to an appt. w/ a fever! 

I've had 2 more short haircuts since the original one posted here and the "bleached white" hair is about the last 1" of hair and then it's all my natural white hair.

Reactions: I've had close friends walk by without recognition. Some people love it & some seem on the fence. Their choice....my hair and my decision.

I've worked out the issues in makeup & the colors I wore as a brunette still are fine w/ white hair. 

Would I do it all again? You betcha. I'm loving the new me.

Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE ON AFTER GOING WHITE

[ Edited ]

I'm working from the opposite direction.  I went blonde when I started getting gray so the transition to white hair hasn't been too traumatic.  

The hair in the back is still mostly brown ... so I'm still lightening.  My hair is a light "cool" beige blonde..

I'm 75 ... looking forward to the day when I'm all white!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

So liberating isn't it? I love my short silver hair and get compliments from total strangers all the time. 😊 I've had mine like this for seven years now and I'm never going back to dyeing!

Honored Contributor

I applaud you! Someday........

Super Contributor

Congratulations! I have been hair dye clean & sober for 10+ years. Boy, was it hard to do. I think that the first 3-4 months are the worst and if I had it to do over again I probably would have gotten a wig. I didn't and I survived. I had to do mine every two weeks as my hair is fast growing. My hair is completely silver white now. We recently attended our granddaughter's graduation and other family members found us by looking for my hair!!!! I received many compliments on my hair color and have been told that if they could go gray the way I did they would do it but they don't like the color of gray. I am lucky because my hair is super silver. I always wear silver or platinum earrings which seems to enhance the silverness.

That said, I do continue to dye my eyebrows and I do it myself. My eyebrows are completely colorless and look very skimpy. When I dye them light medium brown they look great. The dye colors hair I can't even see. It makes my brows much fuller. Without the dyed brows my face just turns into one big white blob! I have to do it about every 6 weeks. I use Just For Men Mustache & Beard dye. Because of my white hair, white brows and very fair skin my DH says I lend new meaning to the term old white woman.:smileyvery-happy. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I went au natural when I retired in 1998, and have never looked back.  Like you, @Shanus, I get a haircut about every 5-6 weeks.  I shampoo my hair and go... no fussing with it.  It's thick, coarse and wavy so I air dry it.  When the humidity is 6%,  it's dry in no time. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I did the same thing I have dark hair that has beengreying for 20 years, I finally decided to do ash blond hi lights which will - well should make the transition to fully gray easier

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm working from the opposite direction.  I went blonde when I started getting gray so the transition to white hair hasn't been too traumatic.  

The hair in the back is still mostly brown ... so I'm still lightening.  My hair is a light "cool" beige blonde..

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Yay for you!  I have dark brown chin length hair and I too am soooo tired of dying.  Just turned 64.  I am 1 1/2 years into taking Tamoxifen and the past 6 months i have really noticed my hair thinning.  My hairdresser tells me that if I go grey it will look even thinner.  I am not so sure about that.  Opinions?  I am so tempted but it is a difificult decision!

Esteemed Contributor

Still happy for ya, @Shanus.  We white-haired beauties should stick together.  I never colored my hair for the reasons you mentioned:  I never wanted to be a slave to a box of dye.   I get lots of compliments on my white hair - ladies have even asked me who colors my hair and what color do they use.  Cracks me up.   Honey, it's all ME!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Most women let the grey/white come in your way, but the contrast was too stark w/ mine. Couldn't cut it any shorter, so if you didn't follow original OP: Bleached/removed all dark brown dye off, matched my white roots that I had not colored in long time so stylist could see root color. In the past several months, short cuts have followed and only a tiny bit of bleached hair at the ends...cut off at next hair cut.