Regular Contributor

UNILEVER now has a stake in Hourglass Cosmetics

UNILEVER has acquired a stake in Hourglass Cosmetics- although they claim it is a small stake. For those of us who avoid companies that are not cruelty-free, Hourglass is now partly owned by a non CF parent company. UNILEVER also owns Seventh Generation, TIGI, Dove, Pond's, Noxzema, and a long list of others. 

I personally do not buy products from companies who claim to be cruelty free but are owned by a NON CF parent company or are related to them in any way (Too Faced, Philosphy, Tarte, etc). These parent companies are profiting from sales of these companies, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered pouring their millions into them. Just FYI....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: UNILEVER now has a stake in Hourglass Cosmetics

I was never a fan of Hourglass cosmetics but thanks @Haircut100 for the heads up in case I wanted to try something of theirs in the future. I also do not buy products from companies that are owned by non CF parent companies. 

Will also stop purchasing 7th generation now which is too bad since I love their dish washing soap in the clementine formula. Best natural dish washing soap I've found. Fortunately I bought it in bulk earlier last year at a steal of a deal so have several left before I have to find a replacement. 

Honored Contributor

UNILEVER owns Living Proof, btw. It gets a lot of love here. When I heard the news they were buying the company, I ran out and bought the product I really like because once UNILEVER takes over...it's bye-bye for me.

Honored Contributor

Unilever also uses DMDM Hydantoin as a preservative, even in Dove products, it is a derivative of formaldehyde, I avoid it at all costs.

Respected Contributor

Just checked out their website - prices are really high - it's a no for me.

Valued Contributor

I use several Hourglass products and I like them very much.  I hope that the products do not change.  They are expanding their product line and maybe they were looking for $$$$.

Valued Contributor

I have purchased several things from Hourglass.  While I like them, I never really felt they are worth the high price tag.  I certainly won't be purchasing anything from them in the future.

It is frustrating, because I'm 'running out' of companies to choose from when I purchase cosmetics/skin care.  Most recently, The Ordinary has been crossed off my list (after Estée Lauder bought a stake in the company).

I am hoping Physicians Formula and Milani stay cruelty free, since I am finding myself purchasing more and more from them.  They have some really good products at reasonable prices.