Honored Contributor

UNFORTUNATE TREND TOWARDS PERFECTION

Maybe when women started taking selfies, or was it YouTube makeup tutorials or maybe HD TV.....I see an unattainable quest for perfection. Most foundations are full coverage leaving faces one color & flat (not realistic from this artist's POV). Dimension and color must be added back w/ bronzers, blush, contouring and highlighting.

When perfection is still not achieved, there are color correcting powders and creams and products to take down shine or add back that youthful glow. 

If shading doesn't correct lines from nose to mouth or moisturizers and brush on products that dry over crow's feet fail to flatten them out, there's BOTOX and fillers. 

I fear the result will be erasing our individuality. What example is that setting for young girls? Will they feel that who they are and what they look like is never good enough?

Your thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: UNFORTUNATE TREND TOWARDS PERFECTION

Sorry. Meant to post in BEAUTY. Can someone transfer it there? Clueless.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Okay, I'll try for you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Pretty insulting to those of us who buy those products; we happen to be adult women who fully understand the difference between reality and retail.   First those products do not erase individuality, that's just silly.   Yes, of course the products promise that they'll erase all of the thing things we wanted to be erased but that's a selling tactic and every woman knows that.  We don't buy those products to be perfect. so don't insult us by telling us that.  We buy them because WE want a paticular benefit.  WE are looking to hide or conceal or corret something.  We neither expect nor want to be perfect.  As for our daughters, commercials and advertising don't set any standards for them.  You'd know that if you had daughters.  Our kids learn by example, the learn from the people in their lives; they don't learn values from commercials.  I don't know what your fears are but they certainly are not valid. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I copied the post into Beauty.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama. Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

I have to disagree with an earlier post. Of course commercials and ads set standards of perfections for us. Why is airbrushing used if not to create the illusion of perfection? 

Honored Contributor

Please post further replies to Beauty Forum (where it belonged). Posted here in error. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think selfies are the source of the issue. It's been going on forever, each time and culture ( including subculture) has their own definition of beauty. The problem isn't so much it existing, but that some people like to tell others that they don't qualify to be part of the group based on age, body type ect. 

I don't see everyone trying to look the same either. There are tons of different looks and styles out there that represent different standards of beauty, if you look outside of just mainstream movies, tv commericals or magazines.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While some may take it to extremes (but that might be who they are), there is nothing wrong with trying to make yourself look much better.  No one should feel (and most do not) they have to do anything.   Since no one will ever achieve perfection why bother doing anything like fixing your hair, using shampoo to make your hair more managable, good smelling shower gels or soap to mositen, any type of moisturizer,coloring hair, manicures, pedicures, nail polish and even clothing.  Might as well just shower quickly, don't worry about getting products that might make you feel better, don't bother fixing your hair and just throwing on anything old thing to be covered up - after all we're never going to achieve perfection so why bother!!??? A lot of what we do to improve ourselves is displaying our individuality.  While I love my makeup and have ever since I was a teenager many do not like makeup and do not use it but still care for their hair, etc. That is individualism. My look is not like anyone elses' and defines me specifically,   If no one cared about their appearance and didn't even try, we would all be cookie cutter awful looking messes!!!  I sure would not like a world where no one cared about improving their looks in any way and we all care depending on our own likes and dislikes.  There are extremes on both sides - those who try to fit a certain mold and those who don't care much for doing much to improve their looks.  

I actually don't see anything different about today's world than there was when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's.  The only difference is that there are many more fantastic products avaialble.  The attitude back then was to doll yourself up to get a man and then when you did you didn't have to bother as much. That part has pretty much changed in a good way.