Honored Contributor

Re: UNDEREYE DARKNESS AND/OR BAGS?

No darkness - just puffiness.

I had tried some Avon "dual eye" creams - but no matter what I did - it migrated into my eye and caused irritation - so I've sworn off that kind of stuff.  I don't want to risk damage to my vision.

What works for me is rather simple and inexpensive.  A bit of witch hazel on a cotton pad takes away the puffness.  No migration.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus thanks for posting about this again.  It was good to watch the video to get a "refresher" course, so to speak.  I have dark circles from, I'm assuming, allergies and hollows in my eye area from puffiness.  One eye is puffier than the other.  No matter what concealer or corrector - peach or otherwise - that I have tried & no matter the technique used putting it on, I think concealer just makes me look worse.  I have tried all different kinds of concealers, some higher end, some drugstore, some made for mature eyes and it all makes me look older.  Seems to accentuate everything that I don't want to accentuate - wrinkles, puffiness, etc.   Its incredibly frustrating.  I've pretty much given up trying to find something that works and just learn to live with tired looking eyes and use a good eye cream.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  I think I told you in the recent past that other MUAs have covered this "trick" online for quite some time.  I think the confusion for some women is the placement of the product.  The idea is to keep all the concealer on and slightly lower than the dark circle, never put any above the dark circle (on the puffy bag). 

I don't use foundation so I've gotten pretty good at this just using concealer (without corrector) and instead setting concealer with very light dusting of under eye brightening powder

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

I've previously recommended the technique of using two concealers: one in a peachy tone as a corrector and the lighter shade for covering "under and around" the bags, not on them which exaggerates that area. 

Watch a youtube video by Dominque Sachse called "BEFOE YOU CONCEAL....." to see the technique and steps. She uses NARS Soft Matte Concealers in a pot which are very good, highly pigmented, but creamy and blend easily. Eye cream/moisturizer is necessary before application. 

@Shanus This is the same technique I use for very dark circles and hollowed out looking under eye areas.* I have no bags or puffiness, so I don't need to surround the puffy area to reduce its prominence.I use NARS Creamy Concealer in Custard and I mix it with a peach color from Becca. After I dab and smoothe this in the dark areas I dab the Creamy Concealer in Custard  over it and smoothe  it out. I don't use a powder to set because my skin is very dry.  I do not use a primer under this because it makes every concealer I have tried slide or just not work as well to cover,  but I do moisturize first and wait awhile before applying the concealers. Since Becca Cosmetics has been discontinued by Estée Lauder, I've been searching for the right peach to replace it with when I'm finally out of mine. I do have extra. I'm going to check out the NARS Soft Matte Concealer in the pot in the peachy tone.

When I went to look at the shades of the Soft Matte Concealer at Sephora, I wasn't sure which shade was peachy enough. It looks like I might buy this concealer anyway. It did such a great job on the customer photos for it at Sephora.

I went back to the video and discovered that Dominque has a second video, 7 Concealers in 7 Days. In this video she uses a peach concealer made by Sephora to dot on before using one of seven concealers she tests over the top. I went to Sephora to find her peach from this video and it's no longer available. While there I discovered that NARS just came out with color correcting concealers. It's called NARS Radiant Creamy Liquid Color Corrector. 

One tip to anyone trying a peachy corrector. Skip LA Girl. They have a peach but I dislike their product. I see there is someone here that is a fan, but it made all my lines show up and it settled in the creases. It's exceptionally cheap so if you want to give it a try you will have little to lose. 

*It is not a technique I'd use for puffy undereye bags, since I just have very dark circles. 

Respected Contributor

@JudyL  Try using a moisturizing eye cream or face cream let tha set for a few minutes then use a silicone base primer which will give you a slip... with your finger dab on your eye cream with a light weight concealer like Maybelline eraser. Take the sponge off & click product, works better & more sanitary. If your still not satisfied then take a little more primer & dab lightly. It won't cover deep circles but I think you would like the look better & it also won't exagerate the puffiness.

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@JudyL  Try using a moisturizing eye cream or face cream let tha set for a few minutes then use a silicone base primer which will give you a slip... with your finger dab on your eye cream with a light weight concealer like Maybelline eraser. Take the sponge off & click product, works better & more sanitary. If your still not satisfied then take a little more primer & dab lightly. It won't cover deep circles but I think you would like the look better & it also won't exagerate the puffiness.

Hi @Kabella thank you for the suggestions.  I do use an eye cream and a silicon based primer.  Also have tried the Maybelline eraser concealer and it didn't work for me.  I appreciate you taking the time out to make the suggestion though.  It was very nice of  you.

Honored Contributor

@Heidismom wrote:

@Shanus

How light should the lighter concealer be? I have tried this technique and am not able to see any difference in the puffiness.  Not sure if I am using a shade that is too light, or too dark.  Thank you!

@Heidismom   The first shade to apply is a corrector in a peach tone, not a concealer. That may be the issue you're having. The purpose of using the corrector is so that you can use less concealer...less product under the eyes in general.

Valued Contributor

For those looking for a good peach corrector that won't break the bank and works very well, try Revolution Conceal & Correct.  The only place I've been able to find it is by ordering directly from their website.  It is lightweight but very pigmented and works well under other concealers.  It's only $7 and I just ordered two back-ups.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To all havng difficulty finding the right shade of corrector, look at the Bobbi Brown site. Even if you don't purchase that brand, there is an excellent chart of shades for which skintone and undereye darkness. I use a 'bisque" corrector which is better for very fair skin and the chart says which types of shades cover which colors are discolored under the eyes...it explains purple/blue/ red discoloration for the bisque shades of corrector to peach shades (more than a few in each category) for brown/grey/greenish discolorations. 

The BB correctors, I'm fairly sure, were the first in this category and have been in the line long before others. Concealers should not be too light...it will draw attention to the area you're trying to disguise. It used to be believed that very light concealers were used to brighten the area and you still see this on Instagram, Youtube, etc. That's OK if the model is younger w/o issues of darkness.