Esteemed Contributor

Re: UNDER EYE BAGS AND DARKNESS

I must be late to the party, but what is a color corrector?  I am talking for undereye darkness.  Mine is extremely dark because of thyroid issues.  Any suggestions?

@Shanus 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

I must be late to the party, but what is a color corrector?  I am talking for undereye darkness.  Mine is extremely dark because of thyroid issues.  Any suggestions?

@Shanus 

@tends2dogs   You're not late to the party. Many women try to use lighter shades concealers (which make the darkness more obvious) or heavier products that may cause creasing. A corrector is a peach toned concealer type product that's applied first. It sometimes cancels out enough of the dark areas that less concealer is necessary.

Bobbi Brown started the corrector craze for every day women although makeup artists used it on celebrities. If you can get to a BB counter, they can match your corrector to your foundation. There are many shades depending on whether your darkness is bluish or runs green. There are bisque shades for lighter skin. 

In the YOUTUBE video I suggested, she uses a combo of Nars products...2 shades: the peachy toned corrector and then a skin tone correct concealer.

Please stay away from the "wheels" with the green, yellow, etc. shades which claim to correct darkness. They are difficult to blend w/o being obvious and best left to professionals. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks! @Shanus 

I remember Adrianne on HSN using the "color" correcting blues and greens.....oh my.  I remember your tip about not applying concealer to the bag and I use that tip now.  Big difference.  I may check out the peach corrector.  The BM bisque works well, but only if the undereye is hydrated well prior to application as you have addressed.

Thanks again.

OT I read on another thread your comment about catching yourself in the mirror and thinking, is that me?  LOL  I do that often.  Having been a brunette most of my life and now being white, wow.  A big difference, for sure. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

Thanks! @Shanus 

I remember Adrianne on HSN using the "color" correcting blues and greens.....oh my.  I remember your tip about not applying concealer to the bag and I use that tip now.  Big difference.  I may check out the peach corrector.  The BM bisque works well, but only if the undereye is hydrated well prior to application as you have addressed.

Thanks again.

OT I read on another thread your comment about catching yourself in the mirror and thinking, is that me?  LOL  I do that often.  Having been a brunette most of my life and now being white, wow.  A big difference, for sure. 

@tends2dogs   Always happy to help and answer questions. Yes, being silver now was a shocker. I did it in one 8-9 hour session at the stylist. I've been mostly all grey since my 30's and there was a lot of dark dye to remove. I was too impatient to wait for all of the dye to grow out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Awhile back, Wayne Goss did a video with this "new" way to apply concealer and now it is all the rave and the only way to apply concealer.  LOL  It makes me laugh how these things make their rounds all over social media and then someone else will come up with a new technique and this will be by the wayside.  

For years I have used an under eye corrector because I have dark circles under my eyes.  I then apply a concealer over the top of the corrector.  This is so much better for my situation than using a concealer alone.  I always struggled trying to find a concealer that provided enough coverage for my circles, wasn't cakey and didn't end up looking dry under my eyes. 

I have tried a lot of peach correctors.  Some are very good and some are too thin/watery to do anything.  I tried using a brightener and concealer but that just accentuates circles on me.  I have to use the peach corrector and then the concealer.  Luckily I don't have bags.  For now.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.         

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva   I haven't seen his video, but most makeup artists have been using this technique for many years. The art is not only the products, but placement. saw Dominque's video and thought she did a great job showing using such a tiny brush (I use a fine eyeliner brush).

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   I haven't seen his video, but most makeup artists have been using this technique for many years. The art is not only the products, but placement. saw Dominque's video and thought she did a great job showing using such a tiny brush (I use a fine eyeliner brush).

@Shanus  Thanks for posting about Dominque's video.  Watched it and will try next time I put on my concealer.  Also thanks for saying what kind of brush you use.  That helps because I couldn't really tell by the video and if I remember right, she didn't say which kind of brush she used.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus  Thanks for posting about Dominque's video.  Watched it and will try next time I put on my concealer.  Also thanks for saying what kind of brush you use.  That helps because I couldn't really tell by the video and if I remember right, she didn't say which kind of brush she used.

@JudyL   You're welcome. I think she said a small brush, but a pointed eye liner or lipstick brush is the best choice.