Honored Contributor

Two Beauty Brands - One New, One Leaving

Makeup Geek and GXVE

DD told me last night Makeup Geek is going out of business the end of April. 

I went to a Makeup Geek pop-up shop with DD in NYC when it was popular. It was one of the few times I've been in NYC , it was February, and even though we were one of the first ones there, we waited in the cold wind for a little over an hour to get in. It was definitely not my favorite thing to do in the middle of winter! 

I'd never heard of the company before and didn't think I'd be interested in the makeup. They had everything in the line set up on tables for incredibly good prices. A few of her staff were there to advise, but no one was getting a makeover or anything like that You were only allowed in for a while, then the next group came in. Owner Marlena was in an area in the back posing for pictures. I didn't get my picture with her - I was dressed like a polar bear - but I did enjoy talking to her about her line. I bought two eyeshadows and one blush. They were nice.

Just today I read an article about Gwen Stefani's new makeup line GXVE. She said in the interview with her she's been interested in makeup for a long time and was a makeup artist for a while. She has always signed her name "Gx (a kiss)," and the "VE" comes from giving back. 

It is a clean beauty line "by a makeup lover,  for makeup lovers." 

I have the blush palette she did for Urban Decay, and I like it. Like all palettes I get, I find myself relying on three of the colors in it. But I have used the others too!

Her lip colors right now are all red, but in different formulas. I'm sure we'll see more as her line expands. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Two Beauty Brands - One New, One Leaving

@beach-mom 

I had never heard of Makeup Geeks when I read on Trendmood that they were closing.  Apparently they were the first ones  on YT with makeup tutorials??  Also read about Mrs Blake Shelton's new makeup line several weeks ago.  She's beautiful! but the red lipstick and eyeliner isn't something I can wear.  I hope she has tons of success with her latest venture!

Honored Contributor

If Mrs. Blake Shelton's (isn't that Gwen Stefani?) reflects her personal makeup style it's just not for me.  Even though I like to glam up the eyes a bit, I prefer a more natural look for the rest of my face.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@beach-mom 

I had never heard of Makeup Geeks when I read on Trendmood that they were closing.  Apparently they were the first ones  on YT with makeup tutorials??  Also read about Mrs Blake Shelton's new makeup line several weeks ago.  She's beautiful! but the red lipstick and eyeliner isn't something I can wear.  I hope she has tons of success with her latest venture!

@monicakm - I don't watch tutorials on YT - I'm probably the only one! LOL! I have seen a few, but none that really helped me. I tried to watch a few years ago when someone would demonstrate an upcoming TSV, but I got impatient with the demonstrator taking the first 10 minutes opening the box and looking at the products for the first time. Be ready to go people! We don't need to watch you opening the box- LOL!

DD first found out about them when she went to IMATS with one of her friends when she was in college. She came back with some freebies. She wore the eyeshadows, especially the chrome shadows, and the blush a lot. She liked the lipsticks, but they didn't stay on. 

I didn't really want to go to the pop up shop, but it gave us the chance to spend the day together! It was a LONG day, starting around 3 a.m. to drive to the train that would take us there!

I agree with you about Gwen's line. I don't wear bright red lip color either, and if I need to I wear Fly Girl by Lipsense. I don't wear black liner but I do like her blue one. Right now I have enough!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom Hi... you are not the only one.  I don't watch YT videos on make up tutorials  either!

I hope GS's line does well.  I would hope she would offer a range of shades and finishes to her line to have a wider audience.  We'll see.  I'm also interested to check her packaging and price points. 

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@beach-mom Hi... you are not the only one.  I don't watch YT videos on make up tutorials  either!

I hope GS's line does well.  I would hope she would offer a range of shades and finishes to her line to have a wider audience.  We'll see.  I'm also interested to check her packaging and price points. 

@nyc1 - Good to know I'm not alone- LOL!

I too will wait until she brings more out, but it's perfect for someone who always wears the "Gwen signature red lip"! And I do like the blue liner, but I don't need one right now!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom I don't watch YouTube Makep tutorials either.  I watched a few Hot n Flashy ones a year or so ago and a couple since that I've seen mentioned here or when I was trying to figure out whether I wanted to try a new foundation.  

I use Youtube when I need to find out something specific.  Mostly I've been using it for things like how to grow certain things and how to put together and insulate a kit greenhouse.  I have gone down many rabbit holes just doing that.