Respected Contributor

Re: Tv people who need braces

I've noticed lots of crooked teeth also especially on Soap Operas.  Doesn't bother me too much though. 

I've also noticed wealthy, well known people in the United Kingdom have crooked teeth.  It doesn't seem to bother them.  I've always wondered why they never bothered with straightening their teeth. 

Guess it's just not important to some people.   

Honored Contributor

@Pancho wrote:

I so agree with you.  I don't understand it either.  And I can't help myself but that's all I can see when I see someone with awful teeth, I can't stop myself from staring at their teeth.  I was blessed with perfectly straight even teeth (I've got many other problems I was not blessed with) and get compliments on my teeth so other people are looking as well.  A woman I went to high school with is also a Facebook friend and she keeps posting pictures of herself and her family, etc.  One of her main center incisors on the top row is a dead tooth and is greatly discolored compared to all her other teeth.  All I see in her pictures is that discolored tooth and I want so badly to shout at her to go get her tooth fixed!!!  She needs a veneer or crown, etc. to fix that one tooth.  I know for a fact she can afford it.  Heck I would work extra jobs to save up the money if that was my tooth.  It distracts from her appearance, at least to me it does.

@Pancho   You are so concerned about her tooth. So odd. 🤔If it troubles you so....offer to fix it for her so you can move on to someone else to criticize.

Respected Contributor

I read a biography on Clark Gable and it was reported that he had the WORST teeth imaginable.  But this was BEFORE he became a movie star.  This was as he was plying his trade in plays and such, and gaining such a large female following that he was forced to have his teeth repaired.

Can you imagine Clark Gable with a mouthful of rotten teeth? He never would have had the career he had if he didn't get his teeth fixed.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I read a biography on Clark Gable and it was reported that he had the WORST teeth imaginable.  But this was BEFORE he became a movie star.  This was as he was plying his trade in plays and such, and gaining such a large female following that he was forced to have his teeth repaired.

Can you imagine Clark Gable with a mouthful of rotten teeth? He never would have had the career he had if he didn't get his teeth fixed.

Due to a serious gum infection, Clark Gable had a full set of dentures when he was 32.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

My teeth aren't perfectly straight but they are white, healthy, and they are mine.  My parents couldn't afford braces but they made sure we went to the dentist and took good care of our teeth and gums.  A practice I continue to this day. 

Respected Contributor

PREACH ...  YESS YES YES, I've made this exact same observation and comment for YEARS AND YEARS. It baffles me as well.

Honored Contributor

I grew up around lots of people with crooked teeth, so to me unless they are very bad, it's not something I put much emphasis on when interacting with other people. 

Honored Contributor

The dentist doesn't bother me, but a lot of people are scared to go to the dentist.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Due to a serious gum infection, Clark Gable had a full set of dentures when he was 32.

I read that he had awful oral hygiene & Vivian Leigh hated those romantic scenes!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I didn’t realize it for a long time, but I am lucky to have naturally straight, even teeth.  And I did not even take care of them for a long, long time. Brushing of course, but no flossing ever and no routine dental visits. I was so scared of dentists. Looking back, I can’t believe I was so cavalier about my oral health.

What finally got me to the dentist was a tooth infection that was spreading up the side of my face. I had no choice. It took a whole year to get my mouth completely straightened out.  I had to have Novocain just to clean my teeth - in quarters (4 appointments).  That is how bad they were.

But it’s a different story now. I am still scared of the dentist,  but go 3 times a year for cleaning and checkups.  I also do several things at home to help keep my mouth and gums healthy.  

Once I started noticing other people’s teeth I was surprised at how many have crooked teeth.