Honored Contributor

Re: Turned off by cosmetic presentations

I haven't watched QVC in probably twenty years.  It's just all too phony and just something a turn off to me.   The hosts and sellers are over the top for my taste.  I get my info from you ladies, do my research and if I decide to purchase the product, I find it elsewhere.  Often times on eBay for a WHOLE lot less.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom      YES.....if you need a "procedure", DO IT.    My neighbor had a stroke, and it affected her facial muscles.   (Think "bulldog".)     She had a facelift (covered by insurance).....and was back to her "former self".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I sometimes wonder if people realize the difference between topical creams that can affect only the surface skin ..... and surgical procedures that tighten up loose skin and underlying muscles?

One vendor I can think of had plastic surgery, but she still uses products to combat surface wrinkles and dry skin.

We're talking apples and oranges, folks.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu    I think of Dr. Denese and all the work she has had done on her face and she is selling anti-aging skincare.  OMG!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

All products do not work for everyone but there are products that do work for everyone.  It's a personal choice to try or not.  I am smart enough to know that there is not miracle fix but with steady use some products have resulted in remarkable changes to my skin as long as I use them daily!   Even with surgery, great products are needed daily to enhance what the surgery did.  You cannot expect to get procedures that will hold up or look as good without excellent products!  That would be wasted money to think a procedure is one and done for the rest of your life!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can see usually see the difference in the before and after photos. It's usually rather subtle yet noticeable but I think they keep it that way to make it believeable. Even though I find it subtle on the photos still doesn't mean they might not have been touched up.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I am not one who watches QVC... just an occasional look. I often stop and see the cosmetic presentations, those that are selling age related fixes for the face and neck. Often the models are young with little or no problems.  And then there are the hosts and vendors who obviously had  some sort of cosmetic "adjustment" as in Botox.  There should be a disclaimer.  I find the presentations a bit deceptive.  I wish there was a magic potion, but not likely.  

@bonnielu   I don't think I'd call it "deceptive". The vendors are there to SELL. The products'efectiveness is up to the consumer to determine. From knowledge and experience, nothing tofix the face and neck. Botox and fillers are on option (will not fix sagging neck, jowls, wrinkling), but nothing topical except Retin A provides some help with wrinkles. Be aware that even Retin A or retinols are not a 4-6 week application and WOW, results. It may take 6 months to see any improvement.

I firmly believe some hosts, vendors and models have had "work" done. The models, like Chantal, Amy, Brooke, etc. have looked the same (adding lip injections, eye surgery for bags and hooded lids) for the 20 yrs. I've been watching. Chantal was one of the original Leslie Blogette models for Bare Minerals...do you know how many years ago BM first appeared on QVC? 

We need to be informed consumers and know that a $270 Elimis cream (on Shawn's last Friday show) will never show the results in the before and after in 4 weeks. I truly believe the hosts' and models' days off are not all vacays, but time to get cosmetic procedures and time for the brusing, swelling to heal. No one can look the same for 20 years w/o "intervention".

There will never be a disclaimer, because it's no one's business what they had "done". We can look at them after so many years and assume their faces/necks changed and had some "work" done. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

@colleena wrote:

@Kachina624 & I swear the before/afters are photographed like some of the food items - not real at all, lighting different, different angles & honestly, sometimes different people ... 

If there is any manipulation of before and after photos, look at the before. It is most likely the altered photo. They often have a disclaimer about the after photo being unretouched, but not about the before.

@On It   Having done the makeup for photo shoots, the befores can be made to not look as well because she's not smiling, lighter makeup and squinting eyes to make the afters look better. The lighting and position of the face is so obvious to me in the before/afters. Sometimes the afters are further from the camera (Crepe Erase) or a lotion added which would make anyones creases look smoother. In afters of facial products, it takes a minute to smoothe on a blurring cream/primer. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

By the way, it's easy to see which relatively young host recently had some work done, including semi-duck lips. By semi of course I mean noticeable but not glaringly so. Some women have them so blown up they enter the room before she does. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@bonnielu    I think of Dr. Denese and all the work she has had done on her face and she is selling anti-aging skincare.  OMG!

@Katcat1   I'll add Josie, Mally, The vendor from Westmore, Breezies, Jill Martin, etc. They are "in the business" and they need to keep up w/ the aging process. Creams, lotions and oils may help moisturize, but that's the extent of what they can do.