Honored Contributor

Turn your rejects into an air freshener

I got industrious yesterday and started weeding out my unused beauty items.  I had an Elemis Lavender Toner from the Beauty Bash haul.  I never use toner so down the drain it went.  I shortly realized my mistake, this stuff is the most beautiful air freshener I've ever used. I can still smell it lightly this morning.  I now ordered the three piece set of toners that also includes apricot and ginseng.  Maybe those will work for air fresheners also.  All I can say is I'm worth it.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Turn your rejects into an air freshener

[ Edited ]

@depglass How do you use toner as an air freshener? ...or is it in a spray form?

I have also done this with things I no longer wanted to wear on my body but scented my bedroom nicely. I will either just spray in the room, (dissipates quickly) or (more lasting) I spray a little on a light bulb...the warmth makes it emenate into the room nicely. I don't do much at all, as I'm not sure how safe that is, but a little has never hurt anything so far.

I got that idea from some fragrance oils I got years ago from Crabtree & Evelyn...you got the oil along with a ring to put over the light bulb in a lamp. The ring, that made a "collar" around the bulb, held the fragrance oil and scented the room very nicely. I don't know if they sell those anymore.

More and more I'm finding ways to repurpose things I don't use one way but can use in another...before just tossing or wasting.

Honored Contributor

I have done this with things that smell nice, but I am never going to use on my face/body, especially samples that are in spray form....Better than wasting it!

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's healthy to be breathing in vapors from products. Many essential oils are touted as 'therapeutic' but in fact they are not good to breathe in.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  Can you clarify? That was lavender! I diffuse essential oils all the time. Right now I've got eucalyptus, frankinscense & mhyrr, and always clary sage. I use lav at night, not to diffuse, but diluted as a topical.

I think it is powders and things that you shouldn't be breathing in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@SilleeMee  Can you clarify? That was lavender! I diffuse essential oils all the time. Right now I've got eucalyptus, frankinscense & mhyrr, and always clary sage. I use lav at night, not to diffuse, but diluted as a topical.

@Harpa 

Just be careful which essential oils (EOs) you choose to breathe in. Some contain petro distillates and some are synthetically manufactured. There are no standards, regulations or certification agencies as far as 'therapeutic' is concerned so use at your own risk.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee Food for thought. Btw, at the risk of sounding ignorant, what are EO's? I Googled but mostly what came up are "Executive Orders." 

Makes me think...perhaps nature is always the best way to go...natural lavender leaves in a sachet, natural eucalyptus in a vase or a wreath, of course fresh lilacs or any fresh fragrant flower, gardenia plant, orange blossom plant, fresh fresia...though...they don't last long...but things like that. 

There are those that don't even like to put perfume on their skin to seep into the body, or fragranced body creams....I sometimes wonder though I've used both for my whole life.

Years ago, before we "knew" about talcum powder, I always scented my pillow cases with talcum powder (inside the pillow cover), but still it "puffed" through, or how else would you smell it. Haven't done that for many years, but I cringe now to think. Live/learn.

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

EO is essential oil. Sorry for my abbreviation and lack of clarification. I forget sometimes to spell it out...lol!Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Harpa 

Just be careful which essential oils (EOs) you choose to breathe in. Some contain petro distillates and some are synthetically manufactured. There are no standards, regulations or certification agencies as far as 'therapeutic' is concerned so use at your own risk.

I agree with you re: synthetics. (Which I do not use!)

Nor is it in the Elemis. There may be other things in there, though, that aren't that "healthy."

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

Not too long ago I was a frequent diffuser. I even bought an expensive nebulizer-type diffuser. Then one day I noticed my dog's eyes were getting very watery and she was sneezing a lot, too. That's when I started looking into EOs around pets. Turned out some are very toxic to pets. So now I just stay away from them completely. What's good for the goose...