Valued Contributor

The last few years I shutter when I look at photos of myself. I couldn't figure out what was happening to my beautiful neck?

I was always thin and loved my long neck. People always told me I had a ballerina neck. I always looked good in lower necklines, crew necks, v-necks.

Now, I shutter.

At first I thought the tendons in my neck were sticking out. Then I read somewhere that it is called Turkey Neck!

Does anyone have any idea what can be done about this? I thought if I gained weight it might fill in my neck but so far, that hasn't worked.

I'm 68, still look good but the neck is so disturbing to me. I was thinking about plastic surgery but don't even know if they can do anything about it.

I retired to Florida where the weather is a zillion degrees. I can't live in turtle-necks (I tried). Any information or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Trusted Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

The last few years I shutter when I look at photos of myself. I couldn't figure out what was happening to my beautiful neck?

I was always thin and loved my long neck. People always told me I had a ballerina neck. I always looked good in lower necklines, crew necks, v-necks.

Now, I shutter.

At first I thought the tendons in my neck were sticking out. Then I read somewhere that it is called Turkey Neck!

Does anyone have any idea what can be done about this? I thought if I gained weight it might fill in my neck but so far, that hasn't worked.

I'm 68, still look good but the neck is so disturbing to me. I was thinking about plastic surgery but don't even know if they can do anything about it.

I retired to Florida where the weather is a zillion degrees. I can't live in turtle-necks (I tried). Any information or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Consider plastic surgury to tighten up your turkey neck.

Valued Contributor

There's a lot that can be done with lasers or plastic surgery. I'm just a few years younger than you and have been considering work on my neck. I've done lots of reading and searching on the internet, and what had impressed me the most was reading that at some point, creams and lotions and serums just aren't going to work. When the underlying muscles or tissues change, nothing topical is going to make a dramatic difference. After I read that, which I believe, I stopped looking for an eye cream to reduce the puffiness under my eyes. It is going to take more that a cream. 

Consultations with plastic surgeons are usualy no charge, so maybe a visit to a couple of them will give you more info about what you want to do. 

Respected Contributor

Hopefully some of the women here who've sung the praises of Gold Bond's firming cream for throat and dec will be along to tell you about their experiences. Seems to have worked for some of them, and the price is right.

Honored Contributor

Not having turkey neck not able to share experience.

Do agree with previous comment to speak with plastic surgeon.

Started using Gold Bond Neck Cream several months ago. Mainly because my texture seemed like it was appearing dry. Pleased! To report texture improved immensely. Think living in Florida humidity is another benefit. Doubt any cream firms or lifts. Don't waste your money.

Valued Contributor

BeautyBy Anne-Marie  on you tube has a video called lift jowls and turkey neck. She uses the Nivea serum and has had good results. I ordered mine from Walgreens and this week they are having a buy two get one free sale. You may want to take a look at her video.

Having said that, I would also recommend getting several consultations from a plastic surgeon. You are 68 and at this point in life, if you have the means, you should be able to get and do whatever you want.Smiley Very Happy  

Even if you get the surgery, you would still need to apply something to that area to  keep it looking good.

Good luck, and if you do get surgery, please let us know your results!

Honored Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

Now, I shutter.

Thanks,

Nora Ephron wrote a wonderful book "I Hate My Neck". You're not alone. It's just a part of aging. Eyes, necks and hands show age first. 

At 68 (69 in July), my neck started getting "slack" (not a medical term) about 10 years ago. Sometimes trying to disguise it draws attention to it...and no, neck creams do not lift and firm.

I just try to avoid huge statement necklaces, 16" or 18" necklaces unless a fine chain. I usually wear my pearls and a few finer chains which throw light on the face & away from the neck. Avoid crew neck tops and try v necks or scoop necks, stud style earrings instead of long drop earring that fall near your neck...large hoops included. Many women resort to longer, shoulder length  hair thinking they'll hide the problem. I think my short pixie cut also draws the eye upward. It's all smoke and mirrors.

That said, hold your head high and walk proudly...not a darn thing you can do except a face lift (I asked. A neck lift, if suggested, doesn't give the surgeon the ability to pull and re-drape the skin vertically and horizontally. Also the muscles underneath the skin must be tightened). No way!! 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Hopefully some of the women here who've sung the praises of Gold Bond's firming cream for throat and dec will be along to tell you about their experiences. Seems to have worked for some of them, and the price is right.

I was just going to say that I've been using this after reading about it here-

And I've got to say-It has really improved the lines in my neck. You know how there are so many things that talk about incredible results but never really work? This plus some Elise-youth span or something (sp?) I tried years ago are the only things i've seen such a difference.

I could really relate to the OP's post because yeah its like all of a sudden you look in the mirror, and think wait a minute! What the heck is that? and where did I go?!

But then I think, we are all going to age-all the wrinkles and laugh lines and worry lines show life and we can all try to start looking at the inside of all of us instead of always worrying about the outside.

Still it sure is nice to find something that actually works!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Ceci  If it is really bothering you, then save up the money to have surgery to fix it. 

Honored Contributor

Laser skin tightening of the skin on my neck worked for me. I started getting some sagging, "tree rings", crepiness and a slight gobble when I first went in for the procedure. After treatments, I no longer have the tree rings, crepiness and sagging. The slight gobble is vastly improved, but not completely gone. This would take going under the knife which I refuse to do. Laser tightening is not for everyone and is recommended for light to moderate skin laxity. I'm 61 now and I had it done when I was around 50. Still looks good.