Respected Contributor

Re: Trying to start back wearing foundation..yikes

@chiclet It is frustrating. So much trial & error, but everyone loves to give makeup tips!

1. Are you happy with your skin care? You have to get that right before you apply makeup. You need products that keep you oil free without drying out your skin. 

2. Foundation & how you apply it.

I find that liquid foundations give me the best oil control & last longer on my skin. Mac Studio Fix Fluid is my favorite for wear, oil control & color selection. And, you can collect the bottles to return to Mac for free lipstick. 

Except I am loving Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Powder Foundation. So never say never. Rhianna's brand is making me pretty happy.

I know sponges & brushes are all the rage, but fingers work very well to apply liquid foundaton. Typically if I try to get all fancy using sponges & things, my foundation doesn't looks as nice. If I pat the foundation on with my fingers & then blend it out, I get nice coverage & blending, but it doesn't look heavy. Except I just got A390283-Tarte BB Tinted Moisturizer w/ Blending Brush & I LOVE this brush! 

3. Fenty Pro Fil't Instant Retouch Setting Powder (You can order a small size for $18) is the silkiest, lovliest, most mattifying powder I have ever used. It makes my skin look better when I apply it & my makeup still looks nice at the end of the day. Before this I swore that loose powder never worked for me & pressed powder just was better for my oily skin. Wrong, again.

So everyone has give you great tips from their experience, but you have to try to see what works for you.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet  - How are you applying your foundation?  I find that a damp sponge (Real Techniques) gives an airbrushed look that doesn't emphasize texture.  If you're using fingers or a brush, perhaps try switching to a damp sponge.

Esteemed Contributor

Try  some tinted moisturizers then using a concealer on spots that need more coverage. Right now I have the colourpop pretty fresh tinted moisturizer. I also have the bare minerals complexion rescue. Granted I don't have a lot of redness or anything to cover. The colourpop one though has nice coverage.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I'll definitely check out Martha's list. Thanks for mentioning it. Of course, everyone's skin type and coverage levels are different. Hope those issues are included. 

Respected Contributor

If you liked the JM matchmaker and it worked well, why not just stay with that? @chiclet  I use it too. Two of any foundation would go rancid if kept for a prolonged period of time. Maybe just buy a regular size. We get caught up in trying to get a "deal" and purchase 2 fers and supersizes. I have been trying to move away from that. 

I have numerous foundations that I keep in rotation. Some work better for me than others. When they seem to be turning I oust them and evaluate that particular one. When I buy the larger sizes I try to accept the likelihood that it may turn before it's finished. My friends and I sometimes share 2 fers with one another. 
Application is key, as @Shanus mentioned. Many good suggestions have been given here. @San Antonio Gal @Texasmouse Thanks for the tips. I'm sure we can all use them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think as we get older a light minimal makeup look looks so pretty and fresh. I tossed or face away so much. I don't even use eye shadow anyones. Just some bronzer in the crease with a sparkly super shock eyeshadow on the lid Going minimal as we age can be really pretty. There are all kinds of tinted moisturizers our theee from cheap drugstore to high end. Use a concealer on trouble spots before or after the tinted moisturizer. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet    I wear Bobbi Brown's Long Wear Fluid Powder SPF 20 for oily to normal skin.  Many shades to choose from.  I wear this and my skin is normal and it is buildable coverage.  Sweatproof and waterproof.  $40.  It's a good idea to sign up for emails and you will know when they offer their 25% off sales.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped using liquid foundation when every one I bought made me look 10 years older.  Also, most powder foundations seemed to settle in fine lines too, even LG Balance N Brighten.

Since then, I mix a very small amount of foundation ( I use one slightly darker than my skin) with  moisturizer and apply all over my face and a little down my neck to blend.  Since I have normal/dry skin I only use a satin or dewey foundation for this.

After that, I apply concealer (sparingly) to the areas that need a little more coverage. I blend it in with a tiny, damp sponge made for use with concealer.  Also, I use concealer that matches my skin, not lighter under eyes like they all seem to suggest.  One of the first places we age on our face is under our eyes and I've found it's best not to emphasize any lines with lighter, brighter concealer. 

If I set with face powder, I like Laura Mercier, also used sparingly and only in the T zone.  I think women over 50, generally speaking, look better with dewier skin than matte skin.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet -- I loved not having to wear foundation the last year.  I never liked the feeling of foundation - any foundation - on my face.  I've been researching new foundations for me, but haven't bought anything yet.  I'm using a tinted primer for now.  It camoflages my uneven skin tone and is not heavy.  I don't even know I'm wearing it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt