Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to start back wearing foundation..yikes

I used bareMinerals for years and it was foolproof.  Then I turned 50.

After experimenting with dozens of liquid foundations and BB creams, I discovered Lumene CC cream.  I've been using it ever since and worry that I won't be able to find it one day.

I use Lumene Glow Reveal moisturizer on my face then the CC cream.  To me, it's as much skincare as it is cosmetics.

CC creams are a great alternative to foundation.  Several of the ladies here also like tinted moisturizer for a more natural look.

Oh -- and I'm 61.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I really like NARS Sheer Glow foundation.  It might help to get a color match at a Sephora if you can.  There are also sites that you can enter a foundation you used before and give you close matches in other brands.  I tried that and then did a color match at Sephora and she recommended the same color as the site.  

On the lower end, I have No. 7 Stay Perfect foundation and it is also nice except that it's bit yellow for my complexion.  I prefer a neutral color and that is difficult to find.

I don't like matte foundations.  I feel like they emphasize wrinkles because it makes your skin look dry.  I always buff out my foundation with a dense brush, stretching out my mouth and around my nose while brushing that area to make sure it is all even.  I look in the magnifying mirror when I do this, and I definitely see a difference as I am beginning to wrinkle in that area.  I also have a big "1" between my eyes and one big horizontal wrinke in my forehead I've had most of my adult life.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet wrote:

For over a year did not wear foundation and when I started smelling my old foundations they seemed rancid.  So I decided to start over and find a foundation that would not settle in lines, pores and wrinkles or separate when the oils starts in my t zone or look heavy and cakey.....Not doing so good.  The IT bye bye moisturizer foundation found every wrinkle and announced them to the world.  I looked older and cakey and unnatural.  I bought the sephora perfect skin tint that is new and the color was so dark and orange.  It gets good ratings but I think ordering on line is a game of luck.  The color I ordered was supposed to be light medium with yellow in my skin.  Not even close.  I liked the Josie Maran matchmaker foundation but it goes bad fast it seems.  I ordered the two bottles for a special price on the Q right before the pandemic and it went rancid.  This is hard finding something that does not make me look worse.  I know it is not just me because  I go up close to the TV and the high definition shows the people on there with lines prominent in  even the younger people. 

@chiclet   I agree that finding the right foundation is the most difficult in your makeup routine. The wrong one can definitely throw off the rest of your products like concealer, blush and even lipstick color choices. 

Liquid foundations tend to go bad faster than creams or sticks. Both, if not the correct formulation for you, will settle in fine lines, etc. That's what you're seeing when the hosts have a closeup. It's also because they're applying way too much product. 

For many years, I've advised women after 45-50 to try using much less foundation. It takes baby steps to get used to the look, but it does give a younger look because the lines/wrinkles you mentioned are less visible. Unfortunately, we've been "attacked" by the media w/ youthful faces w/ perfect skin that is most likely photograghed with filters and anything less than perfect is seen as not acceptable. Few of us, in this age group over 50 can achieve that perfected complexion w/o a ton of foundation and that's where the issue of coverage comes into play.

I find that if you try a concealer first (one that is your skin tone shade) and cover the few areas that bother you, with a light hand, small brush and blend well with a damp sponge, add a little lightweight concealer under the eyes and blend, women will see that not much is left on the face that they've always considered needed to cover. I've used this spot concealing technique for years on myself and others. It does require a bit more moisturizer (allow to dry down/sink in for several minutes) before applying the concealers. A good, emollient eye cream is needed and if you still feel you need more coverage, try a tinted moisturizer, many now are not greasy and do provide some coverage. This may be enough for you applied over concealed areas. If not, I recommend using a stick foundation swiped just on additional areas of the face, usually just the center where we get some redness and blending out from there. I use Bobbi Brown and I'm sure many are tired of hearing my mentioning this line, but the color range in ALL foundations, concealers, correctors is huge. If you order online, free returns on any of these products. They also have a virtual service where you can post your photo and get shade recommendations. Of course, being at a counter, if you can, is always the way to get the best match.  Lancome also makes a great lighter weight foundation stick w/ a natural finish...not too heavy or without enough coverage. 

I hope you'll give this new technique a chance and let me know if it worked for you. With summer coming, a "lighter look and feel" of makeup is great.

Respected Contributor

I recently went back to DermaBlend cover creme (with the loose setting powder).  A little goes a long way.  So many shades to choose from, there's a question and answer thing to find your shade.  Just have to remember to "warm it up" on your hand....read the instructions.  I have discolaration and some other issues and this works great for me.  I don't find it cakey or making me look older than I am.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

I really like NARS Sheer Glow foundation.  It might help to get a color match at a Sephora if you can.  There are also sites that you can enter a foundation you used before and give you close matches in other brands.  I tried that and then did a color match at Sephora and she recommended the same color as the site.  

On the lower end, I have No. 7 Stay Perfect foundation and it is also nice except that it's bit yellow for my complexion.  I prefer a neutral color and that is difficult to find.

I don't like matte foundations.  I feel like they emphasize wrinkles because it makes your skin look dry.  I always buff out my foundation with a dense brush, stretching out my mouth and around my nose while brushing that area to make sure it is all even.  I look in the magnifying mirror when I do this, and I definitely see a difference as I am beginning to wrinkle in that area.  I also have a big "1" between my eyes and one big horizontal wrinke in my forehead I've had most of my adult life.

@Icegoddess  The Nars foundation is a great choice. If you don't mind a few suggestions/hints, the line between your eyes and forehead wrinkle you mentioned can be somewhat disguised using a small brush and a lighter than foundation shade concelaer. Light brings areas out and forward, dark makes an area receed, Since a wrinkle is an indentation, lightening it helps it to look smoother. 

Yes, most of us look best in a neutral foundation shade...not too yellow and yes, not too pink. Many companies are adding shades with an "N" in the shade range. It's much easier to match your skin tone and blend so not as visible. The lighter weight the foundation, the easier it is to blend. 

As women  begin to wear makeup again and companies have been on a downward turn financially, look for many new formulations coming out in more shade ranges, formulations and definitely neutral tones. They know getting back into wearing makeup will help them out of the hole and they also know that many have not worn foundation for over a year. Bringing those customers back into makeup means they must have newer formulations and shades to beat out the competition. All of this is in our favor. Going from none or little foundation to a full face of makeup is not easy. It looks quite overdone and can go south quickly. Faces are not one color/shade all over. Sometimes heavier foundations give a more theatrical one shade (flat) appearance that requires contour and blush placement to bring back the plains to the face. That's when layers of makeup sink into lines/wrinkles. Matte foundations, as you said, can be drying which equals aging. A moist/ dewey look is more youthful hence all the highlighting sticks, creams, powders and other products that bring "life" back to the face. A slight application of a face oil high on the cheek tapped over the blush area does a great job and doesn't sink into any drier areas around the eyes or require another product to spendmoney on. Moisturizer dabbed on over makeup in that area does the same thing. 

Lastly, if you find a tinted moisturizer, sheer foundation you like, stay with that because purchasing many different foundations  leads to them going bad long before they're used up not to mention the expense involved. 

It sounds like you're on the right track w/ the Nars foundation. That's the one product if wrong can throw off everything else.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Your suggestions of concealer then foundation and just a little of it work great for me.  I have always more or less dry-brushed foundation on with a Shu Umera (sp?) goat hair thick brush--picking up a little product off the back of my hand.

My problems are still that everything slides off my greasy little face (!) or finds the pores,  and so many foundations are either too yellow or two pink and stand out on my really light skin and basically disappear in an hour o so. .

Yesterday I tried a sample of a Yves St. Laurent liquid foundation and it looked better than anything recently.  

I hope you and others will keep coming with the suggestion!  SOOOOOO helpful!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus Your suggestions of concealer then foundation and just a little of it work great for me.  I have always more or less dry-brushed foundation on with a Shu Umera (sp?) goat hair thick brush--picking up a little product off the back of my hand.

My problems are still that everything slides off my greasy little face (!) or finds the pores,  and so many foundations are either too yellow or two pink and stand out on my really light skin and basically disappear in an hour o so. .

Yesterday I tried a sample of a Yves St. Laurent liquid foundation and it looked better than anything recently.  

@Sooner   Have you tried a mattifying primer or blurring primer? There are drugstore selections, as well as higher end choices. An unorthodox technique is appliying a very light layer of setting powder before foundation. You may also want to try a gel formula moisturizer (like BB Vitamin Enriched Face Base) instead of others.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   BTW, hang on to that goat hair brush. Many companies to changed to synthetic bristles.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

i tossed all mine too

@jackthebear   I also replaced all liquid and/or cream foundations. I use cream blushes and they had to be tossed, as well. Many full-on lipsticks became rancid during the year.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner   Have you tried a mattifying primer or blurring primer? There are drugstore selections, as well as higher end choices. An unorthodox technique is appliying a very light layer of setting powder before foundation. You may also want to try a gel formula moisturizer (like BB Vitamin Enriched Face Base) instead of others.

@Shanus GREAT SUGGESTION!  Thanks!  Also, I just saw an interesting assessment of foundations if one googles Martha Stewart Best Breathable Foundations for All Skin Types (link would have ads) that is a good rundown of a lot of foundations--Interesting & something for everyone.

I love BB Vitamin Face Base as a winter time moisturizer, but it is way too moisturizing to wear under makeup for me.  But it is an excellent product!