Honored Contributor

Trying to let my hair grow a bit

My hairdresser was insisting on cutting my hair every 4 weeks to keep it in shape.However, I feel that was too much cutting, and cancelled my last appointment.My hair was simply not growing as much as she was cutting off so it kept getting shorter and shorter. So now it hasn't been cut for 6 weeks, except for me triming the bangs slightly. It is starting to get out of shape and scraggly looking.I had decided I would wait to cut it until we get back to Pa.

How do you put up with this shapeless , scraggly hair while letting it grow in? My hair is baby fine and poker straight so you can probably imagine it is difficult to manage and has no body.It doesn't help any that it's hot & humid here so if I try to curl it as soon as I walk out of the air conditioned house - whoose - straight and flat again in a nanosecond.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to let my hair grow a bit

I did get out a couple head bands I have and pushed it back off my face with those - just pulling my bangs out . I think that may have to be my look for the next short while.

Honored Contributor

@151949 Can you braid it in some way?

Honored Contributor

Try to use some product for body and manageability 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Time, perhaps, for a new hairdresser who would like to help you achieve the look you would like to have with YOUR hair.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated She does an excellant job with the cuts but she left her job to go out on her own & I think she needs the $ so she schedules the appt. too close together. I need to be more assertive about waiting 6 weeks or more for a cut. Every 4 weeks is just too close together though she insists I need it cut that often so it stays in shape. We are leaving for a 4 month vacation tomorrow so I'll have to get it cut when we get there.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@aggravated She does an excellant job with the cuts but she left her job to go out on her own & I think she needs the $ so she schedules the appt. too close together. I need to be more assertive about waiting 6 weeks or more for a cut. Every 4 weeks is just too close together though she insists I need it cut that often so it stays in shape. We are leaving for a 4 month vacation tomorrow so I'll have to get it cut when we get there.

Good luck.  I split last year from the stylist I'd been seeing for more than 15 years.  Have finally found someone I really, really like.  I don't have to listen to soap opera-like family horrible happenings the entire time I'm there, she doesn't answer her cell phone while I'm there, and finally, the back of my hair is not really long after having asked for it to be shorter for years.  I love my new stylist.  Don't keep cutting your hair too often to please the stylist - remember you're the customer and she's supposed to please you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like your hairdresser is using you like a ATM. Did you tell her you want to try longer hair? If she insists on cutting away every 4 weeks (!!!???)  I'd look around and find someone with longer hair you like and ask them who they go to. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My hairdresser was insisting on cutting my hair every 4 weeks to keep it in shape.However, I feel that was too much cutting, and cancelled my last appointment.My hair was simply not growing as much as she was cutting off so it kept getting shorter and shorter. So now it hasn't been cut for 6 weeks, except for me triming the bangs slightly. It is starting to get out of shape and scraggly looking.I had decided I would wait to cut it until we get back to Pa.

How do you put up with this shapeless , scraggly hair while letting it grow in? My hair is baby fine and poker straight so you can probably imagine it is difficult to manage and has no body.It doesn't help any that it's hot & humid here so if I try to curl it as soon as I walk out of the air conditioned house - whoose - straight and flat again in a nanosecond.

How long is it now & what style do you usually wear? How long are you trying to grow it? If long enough, can always wear it up until the length you want. If not, you can ask stylist for some suggestions. 

When I was trying to let a very short haircut grow out layers into a bob, I just let stylist cut the back at neckline until sides and back length were even. Headbands helped...plain, narrow, solid colors in a fabric...not any "Hello Kitty", etc. Lol 😂 

Honored Contributor

My hair is medium, not fine, not thick, but I don't have as much of it as I used to.   I keep it chin length which is just long enough to put up in a clip at the back of my head.

I'm at an awkward length right now myself, waiting until closer to vacation time to get a fresh cut.   

Look around on the aisle with hair do-dads. you might find something you can use.

@151949