Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to let my hair grow a bit

@151949 wrote:

@aggravated She does an excellant job with the cuts but she left her job to go out on her own & I think she needs the $ so she schedules the appt. too close together. I need to be more assertive about waiting 6 weeks or more for a cut. Every 4 weeks is just too close together though she insists I need it cut that often so it stays in shape. We are leaving for a 4 month vacation tomorrow so I'll have to get it cut when we get there.

If you'll be on vacation (and don't know anyone there to socialize with), what a perfect time to just let your hair grow, don't fret about it & don't cut it. ITA when you get home, find someone else like minded to cut your hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear my hair in a super, super short pixie with it longer and spiky on top. A few years ago I decided to let it grow out into a short inverted bob. I kept my regular appointments ( every 5-6 weeks) and kept it neatly trimmed. I really dreaded the "growing out" stage, but I really loved the continuous changing look of my hair. I'd just change from going in every 4 weeks to every 6 weeks if I were the OP. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

151949, I have hair much like yours.  I am growing out a pixie cut, and it is taking forever.  It was so short it would not hold a style of any sort, so last December I got a perm.  It's now relaxing and growing out, but when I use heat protection and curl it with a hot tool, it holds better than it did before the perm.  I probably won't get another perm, just keep trimming ends until my hair is all one length again, then let it get longer.  

I can recommend some products that might help your hair.  I use WEN styling creme to protect my hair when I am going to use hot tools, and WEN texturizing spray just to give it a bit of wave.  It also helps the texture hold and not fade with humidity.  Right now WEN has texturizing spray in summer formulations, I recommend the Summer Honey Peach, but you might like Coconut Lime Verbena.  It is also available in an unscented version, the formula is called 319. 

If you don't want to use WEN products, you can find "beachwave" type sprays at places like Ulta and Sephora, I am sure. I understand that the "tousled bob" is a popular style for this summer, and uneven hair length lends itself to that look.

Best wishes with your grow-out!

Honored Contributor

Hair dressers lose money if their clients grow their hair long..... short styles require monthy trims$$$$$. I grew out my hair from cutting it short in 2013  so I could go my natural silver white.  Now it is just past my shoulders and I trim it myself. No coloring no expensive trims and hair cuts anymore.  LOVE IT!