Regular Contributor

Re: Trying to find hair claw for thick hair that Sally Beauty previously carried...

On 7/5/2014 wackers said:

I had a bear claw clip that I used for many years and know I bought it locally but for the life of me, I can't recall where. Once it broke, I have never been able to find quite the same design and it makes me crazy. My hair has once again grown too long and I so wish I still had that fabulous clip.

A common brand sold in DS (starts with a G - Goody, is it?) does still make a bear claw type but not as effective as my original. Never have understood why they discontinue popular selling products. But then again, I do know why - the original design was far more sturdy hence likely more to manufacture than the current versions.

I must have had the same one you described which I thought was fantastic. I have very thick hair & few hair clips work. I actually had 2, (purchased mine at CVS), but eventually they both broke (the last one about 3 months ago - I took such good care of it, but eventually the spring gave out). I looked all over well before it broke but had no luck finding another. I agree about the manufacturing costs. Eventually, everything seems to get dumbed down & just isn't the same as the original.

Super Contributor

Re: Trying to find hair claw for thick hair that Sally Beauty previously carried...

SilentDance - that hair clip is the best thing since sliced bread!! They used to be sold on QVC but I don't think they are anymore. They were a lot more expensive, too. But me & my sister were blessed with super-thick hair and it was very difficult to find something that actually held our hair up. I've since donated mine (and am in the process of trying to grow it again) but my sister still uses hers.

I've forwarded her the link you provided - for that price she can get more for herself and an addt'l one or two for me (since there's NO Sephora or Ulta near me).

Thank you - and I urge the OP to try that clip - it's hands-down awesome!!!

Honored Contributor

This is my favorite hair clip. I have the Large in all different colors and patterns.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Disneylandfan said:

These hair clips work great. A231877

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 7/6/2014 lolakimono said:

I have super thick hair that is about 2 inches below my shoulder and I do not think these would hold and I am not even sure I could figure out how to use them

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I just did a quick search on Walgreen's website and found a bunch. Different sizes, etc. are called claw and jaw clips.

Super Contributor

Was it a Jilbere clip? That is their own brand of hair products I believe. Several ladies here have raved about the Jilbere hot roller set. I keep thinking the next time I go in I will check on that, as I would like to try them.

I am always trying to find barrettes and claw clips for my thick hair, and they are hard to find. I found a non slip grip-barrette at TJMaxx not long ago. It is sort of u-curved and I use it in place of a ponytail holder, it is so nice.

Super Contributor

As Is SpyralClip Set/2 Goldtone & Silvertone Hair Clips

I would be afraid I would get those caught in my hair and couldn't get them out, how in the world do they work?

Super Contributor

Specifically for thick hair - and available at Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, and other vendors:

*Scunci No Slip Crown Clip for Thick Hair, 9 cm

*Scunci No Slip Grip All Day Hold Hair Claw Clip Jaw For Thick Hair

*Karina French Couture Thick Hair Wide Bun Claw - Tortoise #K9734X1

Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

I have super thick hair that is about 2 inches below my shoulder and I do not think these would hold and I am not even sure I could figure out how to use them

My hair is long and super thick and these hold it great. Very easy to use.