Respected Contributor

Try not to take a break in skincare

I had surgery last Monday. Admittedly, I haven't used any skincare for the last nine days. I've washed my face three times during that period with Dove sensitive bar soap. No breakouts or flakiness, which I'm really thankful for, but my skin looks awful....dull, red, ruddy, drawn, and dry, with recent scarring from pimples that plagued me over the last four to five weeks (I'm blaming the breakouts on pre-surgery stress.) And I could not believe how big the pores on my nose looked earlier today when I looked at them in the mirror. So tonight I'm pushing myself to get back into the swing of things with my Paula's Choice routine. Balancing cleanser, 2% BHA, resist serum, vitamin C spot treatment mixed into resist retinol moisturizer. It's crazy how everything can go down the tubes and revert in such a short period of time. Im hoping I can reverse all my issues....
Honored Contributor

Re: Try not to take a break in skincare

Oh, @Rachb, I know it's hard to deal with, but try not to worry about your face right now.  Do what you can, but don't stress about getting back into your full routine.  Surgery takes a toll and sometimes you don't bounce back right away.  Once you're feeling more like yourself, I bet it'll show in your face too.  Take care.  I hope you're feeling better everyday and will be fully recovered very soon.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks @JLF. The first week was rough but I do indeed feel a little better every day.
Trusted Contributor

@Rachb best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

It is interesting because I've read posts on these forums that are the complete opposite of yours- they said their skin actually looks much better by doing without their normal skincare routine so I guess it just depends on your issues, etc.

I know when I had my last surgery, I thought my skin looked evern more amazing, lol, but I figured out why- I was drinking tons of water and staying hydrated so it was a simple hydration issue.  I am bad about consistently drinking enough water ,although I am getting better. Sometimes I just forget to drink it!

Respected Contributor

Oh gosh, @Rachb ... So sorry to hear about the surgery.  Now is the time to rest, grow stronger, feel better.Woman Happy

We are fearfully and wonderfully made, we humans, and are much more resilient than we would imagine.  As you're feeling better you'll look better as well so don't concern yourself right now.  There'll be plenty of time for your skincare regime to bring you back as good as ever.  In the meantime, I wish you well and pray for a speedy and complete recovery.Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze Well, I don't know. I had surgery and was in hospital/rehab and altogether I was gone for a month without my stash of beauty products-had no idea I'd be gone so long-long story short, at the last minute I threw my ''Take the Weekend Off'' cream into my bag. Every week end you're  supposed to let all your serums, etc. go and just use this cream-use it for your night cream, your eye cream and your neck cream. Whew, I was so glad I had it. I just used it every night (after I was well enough which was a while) instead of on the weekend and I'd say it saved my skin.

Esteemed Contributor

Our good looking skin can slip fast when we neglect it (for whatever reason).  To Rachb the most important thing is for you to recover.  Yes, you can get the face back to where it was so please don't beat yourself up for the period when you weren't able to handle your beauty regimen the way you normally do.  Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.HeartWoman Happy

Valued Contributor

@Rachb, first and foremost ... sending lots of good wishes for quick healing!

I actually had a completely different experience a few years ago when I had surgery and was hospitalized for 5 days. I used no skincare at all during that time and, although I was certainly pale after that ordeal, my skin looked great. So, like most things in skincare and life, I think everyone is different.

Trusted Contributor

I wish you a speedy and full recovery @Rachb! I remember you saying the particular surgery you were having and I know several people who also had this same surgery...please follow all doctors recommendations! I know I can't go a day without my routine for my skin so I feel your pain...hopefully you are feeling better... enough to do a minimal cleansing/moisturizing every day...also remember you will need good vitamin supplements for the rest of your lifetime (I love Andrew Lessman essential-1 but I am sure any quality vitamin will be sufficient) I hope you get the results you desire and I know your health will be greatly improved down the road from it!