Respected Contributor

Re: Try not to take a break in skincare

[ Edited ]

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Rachb, first and foremost ... sending lots of good wishes for quick healing!

I actually had a completely different experience a few years ago when I had surgery and was hospitalized for 5 days. I used no skincare at all during that time and, although I was certainly pale after that ordeal, my skin looked great. So, like most things in skincare and life, I think everyone is different.

@Rachb

I wouldn't worry too much.. your skin will spring back once you feel better.

There were 2 years out of my life 4 years ago that involved no immune system to speak of, 7 surgeries (5 of those very major) within a relatively short period of time in between.

I've sprung back and even dare to say my skin might look a little better than before I was diagnosed. (Or I could be delusional from so much anesthesia)   Seriously, I think it just takes time and doesn't have everything to do with skincare.

I quoted your post @AspenGrove because I defo agree.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Respected Contributor

A break in routine doesn't make my skin look much different.  I was lucky - inherited good skin from both parents.

However, I am sensitive to many common skin care ingredients and this is a big problem.  Also, as I got older I can only wash my face once a day so I chose mornings. I would like to cleanse am and pm but my skin looks worse if I wash twice a day.  I don't wear makeup and not washing my face at night does not affect my skin at all.

Trusted Contributor

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I had heart surgery a few years ago, and the five hours of anesthesia did a number on my skin that took several months to recover.  It was dry, flaky, dull, and ashy.  Most evident on my face, but my whole body.  I was extra careful about what products I used - nothing harsh - and used extra moisturizer - lots of it!    Be patient - it'll come back.  BTW - my visiting nurse told me that it takes 6-12 months  for your body to eliminate all the toxins of that much anesthesia!!!