Honored Contributor

Re: Triple Acid Peels- ABC? PTR? Philosophy?

Impaired acid mantles can take 2 to 3 weeks to repair itself. So if you strip it away by using harsh products or using them too frequently,  then wait at least that long before going back to using them again or change to a less harsh product.

Everyone's skin is different. My skin can tolerate 20% glycolic peels every other night and my product does contain alcohol in it. I have no problems with it whatsoever. I also use a 2% salicylic product on the other alternating days. My skin is clear and healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@CoG. I use a Vit. C serum during the day and Retin A at night. With that combination, no further exfoliation is needed for me. 

Many peels w/ acids or retinols are irritating when you use other full strength skincare products.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain. ITA. Many people over exfoliate.

Trusted Contributor

@porcelain wrote:

@CoG Your baobab butter makes perfect sense for you. Maybe a brief baobab and ultra mild cleanser vacation until your skin calms down? Occasional medium to heavy exfoliation is fine, even a nice shock, for healthy skin. But if anything goes wrong, you want to repair your skin barrier first before going back to aggressive treatments, which peels are. 

You always need at least a few layers of dead skin on top. They're not like dead leaves or anything. They're like bricks, cemented together with your own lipids from within your skin. Part of the natural design. Sometimes people build up a wall that's a bit too thick, so exfoliation is for that. But you still need a wall to defend from the sun and toxins and to hold moisture in your skin.

@PorcelainYour wise, considered response reads like the finest prose.  I cannot thank you enough.  Will certainly follow your sage advice!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Impaired acid mantles can take 2 to 3 weeks to repair itself. So if you strip it away by using harsh products or using them too frequently,  then wait at least that long before going back to using them again or change to a less harsh product.

Everyone's skin is different. My skin can tolerate 20% glycolic peels every other night and my product does contain alcohol in it. I have no problems with it whatsoever. I also use a 2% salicylic product on the other alternating days. My skin is clear and healthy. 

@SilleeMee It may take more resolve than I've had in recent past but I know you're right and I need to give all the heavy hitters a rest, allow my skin a well deserved hiatus.  Sort of like the "take the weekend off" approach but for a good month.   the products I really can trust will probably be even more effective after the pause and I'll have to make wiser choices thereafter.

like you, I could at one time tolerate 20 even 30% peels I purchased from Amazon in sets of increasing intensity, follow up with daily peel pads or microdelivery scrubs and suffer no consequences other than the usual sting and slight "soreness".  Like so many other "used to's". That isn't so anymore and just because I don't want to admit aging doesn't mean I don't have to make the necessary adjustments anyway.  

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Dear @Porcelain Thank you for your concern!   Havoc in this case means tiny nodules and pinpoint pimples over the forehead,, (not hard encrusted accumulations of keratin as they describe in milia), an odd, uneven superficial epidermal layer, discoloration.  It just looks angry.  My first inclination is to scrub it all away and perhaps start with fresh skin.  I hadn't considered a peel as the culprit, rather the solution.  Maybe I should rethink this all.  

The only thing I know for sure is that I need to go back to the things I know my skin tolerates well and skip the new and improved. Oh, and ignore the beauty editors' awards all together.

As an aside, I have found a treasure in all of this mess- Baobab butter!  It's not only the only thing I know I"v done right, its what I should have been doing all along.  I was afraid Baobab butter was too occlusive.  Then all of the comments in a thread about petrolatum made me give it a try.  What a miracle this tree is.  In desert regions it is called the Tree Of Life.  In a drought, everything dies , plants animals, people, except this tree and those creatures fortunate enough to reach this tree.  The fruit has the necessary nutrients to preserve life all by itself!  I buy the powder for smoothies, why I didn't think to use the butter I already had on the shelf I don't know.  But I know better now. It has a more complete nutrient content than even marula or argan, antiimicrobial properties and promotes repair. Wow! 

@CoG

Where did you find baobab butter?

I have used baobab oil before and liked it a lot. I purchased from Garden of Wisdom, but I think Shea Terra also has baobab oil.

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa Amazon doesn't list the pure form anymore but has a mixture of pure coconut and pure baobab butters.  This is a constant for me.  Rough patches and discoloration on knees and elbows have disappeared.  My skin is softer, smoother than ever.  Not even the prescription creams I've had to use for years are as effective.  I've done my own comparison studies and this blend of two pure butters puts SkinFix, Ultra Repair Cream, Cetaphil, CeraVe, Argan body butter to shame!  

Trusted Contributor

ORGANIC AFRICAN BAOBAB SEED BUTTER. 100 % Natural / 100% PURE BOTANICALS. VIRGIN/ UNREFINED...

• ORGANIC AFRICAN BAOBAB SEED BUTTER. 100 % Natural / 100% PURE BOTANICALS. VIRGIN/ UNREFINED BLEND. 8 fl oz- 240 ml. for Skin, Hair, Lip and Nail Care. One of the richest natural sources of vitamins A, D, F & E and a remarkable and stable source of omega 3, 6 & 9 and minerals. Nature’s Perfect moisturizer by Botanical Beauty.

Trusted Contributor

Organic African Baobab Seed Butter has been part of African skin care for centuries. Rich in vitamins A, D, E and F and other essential fatty acids, Baobab provides excellent moisturizing benefits to the skin and hair. It absorbs easily into the skin, improves tone, elasticity, and regenerates and renews skin cells. Organic African Baobab Seed Butter helps to heal dry, chapped and cracked skin, balances the moisture in skin, softens fine lines and wrinkles. It is widely used in skin with acne and cellulite. It is said to have antioxidant properties and is an excellent ingredient in formulations for eczema and psoriasis. Use in small percentages in face creams, lotions, body butters, conditioners and hair care treatments. Absorbs easily into the skin leaving a silky smooth feel and will not clog pores, making it one of the best kept secrets in the cosmetic and hair care products.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @CoG! I am glad baobab is working nicely for you. That's quite a statement about your comparing it to the other things you have tried!