Respected Contributor

Re: Trimming my own hair

[ Edited ]

@chihuahuamom wrote:

Youtube has many women cutting their own hair. I'm refering to fairly simple cuts, nothing too elaborate. I learned how to cut my bangs from there. 

Silkyk, could you elaborate a little more on your upside down ponytail cut?  I have hair almost to my waist and need a trim, and your method sounds interesting. 

Hi chihuahuamom, I just flipped my head down, gathered my clean wet hair into a ponytail with a brush (totally upside down and even all around your head) then I put one of those non snag hair bands on it and slid it down to about 2-3" from the bottom, then just cut across with real sharp scissors. I couldn't believe how good it came out! Soft thin layers, shorter on the top and still all the length in the back and sides. There are a couple of great videos on youtube....check "upside down haircut long hair". If doing this freaks you out just do an inch or so at first. You can cut more more if you like it. Let me know how it comes out if you do. I am my new favorite hairdresser! $aving money too. 

Valued Contributor

I watched Utube lessons and picked up some great tips on trimming my own long hair. I part it down the back and bring both sides to the front standing in front of mirror. I bought sharp hair dresser scissors at Sally's and only use them on hair NO PAPER! I like my hair to have a soft point at the back, not straight across so I angle the scissors cut slightly to make a longer point at middle of chest area.  When finsished it looks pretty good, I have DH check it for *stragglers*  and save a LOT of money over time!  CAT

Trusted Contributor

RinaRina you're a treasure !

Amazon'ed the creaclip and found a knock-off for <  $7.00. free S& H and "one click"ed it !  This is exaclty what I've needed ! Four grown daughters later, I have one clip to do what several couldn't do as well.  I've even used banana clips. ( they slip at the most inconvenient time) 

Ladies, I couldn't afford the salon when I really needed to go to one ,  As necessity is the mother of invention, to use a tired cliche, I had to figure out how to do lots of things.  Believe you me, if I'd botched just one haircut my kids would have punished me for it, forever....  

OP, I learned the layering haircut from a stylist in the neighborhood.  You simply bend over, standing up,  not seated, so that all your hair falls in a vertical line from your head, then cut along a line parallel to the surface of your head at the length you want to be left with.  In an upright position, extend the hair of the crown toward the ceiling and do the same thing.  Never failed.  The recommended CREACLIP should secure your hair and take the guess work, the by sight measurement,  out of the equation.  

For a traditional bob, of any length, extend the hair in the direction you want the ends to go, horizontally for a layered effect, inferiorly for a clean cut, dense bob.  Again, the CREACLIP should guide you perfectly.  Wow what a small, 'wish I'd marketed that' kind of  thing !

There was a derisive term used for those who cut their hair themselves in the old days- the bowl cut.  As in "Ha Ha look at his low class bowl cut". Barbers and stylists  throughout the industry take a lot longer time, charge a lot more money to do exactly that ! Look at the multibillionaire athletes and movie stars.  Their fades don't come cheap.   So, should you choose to cut your own hair I hope you'll heed the advice given by those who've done so successfully, and not be shamed by anyone for any reason.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have long hair with bangs and I frequently trim my own hair. Yes I use hair cutting shears and not just any old kitchen shears or any pair of scissors lying around. I trim my own bangs all the time as they grow quickly. I also trim the ends of my hair too and then get my husband to trim any stragglers. I think I do a pretty good job of it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming my own hair

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

I have long hair with bangs and I frequently trim my own hair. Yes I use hair cutting shears and not just any old kitchen shears or any pair of scissors lying around. I trim my own bangs all the time as they grow quickly. I also trim the ends of my hair too and then get my husband to trim any stragglers. I think I do a pretty good job of it.

I can't do my angled face layers, but I use the following to trim any split ends and/or stragglers on my longest strands, in- between hairdresser appointments.

I have medium length hair, BTW.

• Product Details

Utopia Care 6.5" Professional Barber Razor-Edge Hair Cutting Shears/ Scissors with Removable Finger Inserts  (@ Amazon & other vendors)

•