Respected Contributor

Re: Tried my own nails for 2 years, going back to Acrylics- anyone else?

On 3/8/2015 elruth said:

Before you go back to acrylics, have your manicurist give you a gel manicure. ( shellac ) I love my gel French manicure and it lasts 4 weeks! They say it lasts 2 weeks but mine lasts longer. Much better for your nail beds than acrylics.

I agree, I switched from gel to shellac and I love it too. They never chip at all and last two weeks perfectly. Mine grow fast so I have to redo at 2 wks, I have been told by many nail techs that I have wonderful nail beds (for whatever that is worth!)

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Valued Contributor

Perkup, you have to ask for gel shellac. It's a lot more than regular polish but the light dries and hardens them instantly. Some girls can 3 weeks out of a gel shellac but mine seem to soften up..I blame it on household detergents..I have noticed that my nails are growing faster without the fakes. But like everything else, I'm sure the UV light plus the soaking in the hot remover and buffing is also bad for them, but at least I have 10 really nice nails that are real for the first time in 60 years.

Respected Contributor

I will never go back to acrylics again. They did a lot of damage to my nails. Took months for them to get back to normal and still have one nail that will probably never be the same. I am currently using the pink nail gel that the Q sells and I love it. My mother gave it to me as a gift and I have already re-ordered it when it got low. Very impressed with this stuff. Don't give up yet.

Trusted Contributor

I have weak nails and play the piano. There were times they'd bleed terribly. I wore short acrylics or gels for years not just because they looked better, but they also gave my nails protection. I then switched to Shellac and finally gel polish or regular polish with a gel top coat.

You name it I tried it. Nothing helped my nails.

Super Contributor

I have given my own nails 2 years, tried every product known to man, and I give up.

I had my acrylics off for two years when DD was little, and my own nails never grew in strong or looked good. I tried last year to keep the acrylics off again, but my nails looked terrible.

I am sick of going to the nail salon, but I also hate chipped tissue paper nails, so I keep getting the acrylics.

Gel manicures were also a waste on me. They peel easily, unless I get gel over acrylic.

Super Contributor

I will never go back to acrylics again. They did a lot of damage to my nails.

This is what happened to me. I had very strong nails, but started get acrylics years ago because I hated how quickly the polish would chip. My nails are damaged IMO, permanently from the acrylic.

Regular Contributor

I have zero plans to stop using acrylics. I constantly get compliments on my nails, that I'm sure I wouldn't get if I didn't have the acrylic on top. I was a nail biter as a child and feel better having it on. Keeps my polish on for quite a while too. Totally worth the time and effort for me.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I say go for it, i have worn acrylics for years and i mean years and I will never stop. My real nails never looked good, and hands are very important to how you present yourself

Contributor

I have posted this information in a couple of other areas here on Beauty Banter but will do this again. Instead of acrylics/gels/shellac (SP?) - take of the fake chemical filled products and try pure castor oil. I have had thin peeling nails for at least the last 10 years and was so sick of ugly "man" hands. I heard about castor oil from this forum and researched it. I have been putting the oil on my cuticles and underneath my nails for about 3 months now and I can't believe how strong and long they are. I put the oil on B4 I do dishes - then put on gloves. It helps the oil sink into the cuticle area. I then also put the oil on at night before bedtime and rub it into the cuticles. Seriously ladies, it really works. I am thrilled with my results. To help the growth I also have been using Butter Horsetail Nail Strengthener. Read the directions on the bottle - use for one month then off for a month then on, etc. What do you have to lose? I think you will be happy and save $$. Give it a good 2 months and check back!

Contributor

I had acrylics for 10 years, removed them, and my nails were ruined. I'll never go back, and I regret ever getting them. It's been 8 years since I stopped and I still have deformed nails that curve under and have ridges. I use TIPS religiously, and it helps a lot; but I think more ladies should know what they are risking when they start using acrylics.