Honored Contributor

Tried On A New Lip Color Today........

I stopped by a department store and tried a Lancombe  lip "crayon" (I'd call it a liner, it was as thin as a pencil) that the MOST adorable young lady had on a few weeks ago when I was there.  It was deep rose, which works for me.....usually!!!  Berry is WAY too bright and couldn't look worse!

Big mistake!  I looked like the bride of Frankenstein!  

Image result for bride of frankenstein

Actually, this color suits her!!!

What's your most recent makeup goof?

Valued Contributor

Re: Tried On A New Lip Color Today........

Funny you should ask...I spent the morning watching make up tutorials by Jeffree Star, James Charles and Tati.  Sooo. I wen to Ukta and purchased highlighters and primers and false eyelashes. I even tried the shading to make my nose look smaller.

after applying all this stuff, I looked like a streetwalker/meth head.  It took me four make up swipes to get it off!  

Super Contributor

I have come to accept the fact that I pefer paler, muted lips-Tom Ford Pink Dusk w/Lancome linernatural mauve or charmed.

I always feel like red lips (for me anyway) come into the room 4 feet before the rest of me.

Frequent Contributor

I am the exact opposite of you- neutrals and pales on my lips make me look like Death Warmed Over- I look much better in reds, plums, burgundies. I've got dark hair and fair skin so maybe it's my admiration of Snow White as a child that influences my choices,

Respected Contributor

@BostonMom 59 wrote:

I am the exact opposite of you- neutrals and pales on my lips make me look like Death Warmed Over- I look much better in reds, plums, burgundies. I've got dark hair and fair skin so maybe it's my admiration of Snow White as a child that influences my choices,

I am the same way. Nudes and pale shades look horrid on me. My choice of colors are always reds and plums in the winter. In the warmer months, I go for pink and coral shades. As I have aged, I do tend to tone down very dark colors. They seem to age me.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I stopped by a department store and tried a Lancombe  lip "crayon" (I'd call it a liner, it was as thin as a pencil) that the MOST adorable young lady had on a few weeks ago when I was there.  It was deep rose, which works for me.....usually!!!  Berry is WAY too bright and couldn't look worse!

@ECBG... yet you posted you are a Winter so this should look good on you. Every time I have seen your photo I think Summer. Soft blonde hair and a fair complexion...or at least that is how your photos look to me.

I am curious why you think you are a Winter? I thought blonde Winter's had to have platinum blonde hair?

I know you shared you were a stylist so I was curious? Hope it isn't too intrusive a question..

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG... yet you posted you are a Winter so this should look good on you. Every time I have seen your photo I think Summer. Soft blonde hair and a fair complexion...or at least that is how your photos look to me.

I am curious why you think you are a Winter? I thought blonde Winter's had to have platinum blonde hair?

I know you shared you were a stylist so I was curious? Hope it isn't too intrusive a question..

@Trinity11 I am called a "light winter".  Winters may also be ashe blondes which is my color.  I am also a light olive green skin tone and tan well if I would let myself. 

As I became a darker ashe blonde, I started adding highlights.  The hair and eyes are a clue to the season which comes from the skin, that's why finding a season is done with drapes.

The colors I wear have to stay on the blue side of the color wheel.  For a while I was a model for a large private salon as they taught about the seasons.  Anything mauve, orange, yellow-orange, or olive turns me yellow and under my eyes turns black.  It's so obvious that people across a room can tell, which is why I was a good model.

I can wear summer's clear light colors, but winter's colors give me the most clear skin.

One of my customers asked me one day why I didn't wear a certain color top.  She thought the brightness suited me.  I explained that I am a winter and that piece was another color season and held it up to me.  She said "Oh my!  I see!!!"Smiley Happy

The pencil I tried looked great on the 29 year old consultant.  Deep rose with black in it didn't do anything for older skin and was harsh.  Rose works for me, black in the mix was garish!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 I am called a "light winter".  Winters may also be ashe blondes which is my color.  I am also a light olive green skin tone and tan well if I would let myself. 

As I became a darker ashe blonde, I started adding highlights.  The hair and eyes are a clue to the season which comes from the skin, that's why finding a season is done with drapes.

The colors I wear have to stay on the blue side of the color wheel.  For a while I was a model for a large private salon as they taught about the seasons.  Anything mauve, orange, yellow-orange, or olive turns me yellow and under my eyes turns black.  It's so obvious that people across a room can tell, which is why I was a good model.

I can wear summer's clear light colors, but winter's colors give me the most clear skin.

One of my customers asked me one day why I didn't wear a certain color top.  She thought the brightness suited me.  I explained that I am a winter and that piece was another color season and held it up to me.  She said "Oh my!  I see!!!"Smiley Happy

The pencil I tried looked great on the 29 year old consultant.  Deep rose with black in it didn't do anything for older skin and was harsh.  Rose works for me, black in the mix was garish!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  thank you so much for explaining to me. I have always been fascinated with the entire concept of color analysis but every time I went years ago, I was put in all different seasons. Even when I buy makeup, I have had sales consultants tell me I am warm or cool. It has made it difficult to figure out who to believe.

I think I learned something, though, today from you. You mentioned "clarity" regarding your complexion. That's a good place to start and it makes a lot of sense. I will try it......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 I would strongly suggest ordering  Color Me Beautiful by Carole Jackson from amazon.  1987 edition $10.53.  (Carole is a dark winter).

One good thing in the book is the large color page for each season.  You will know exactly how to look at your skin and have examples.  You'll also models dressed in their opposite season, and see what it looks like.

If you do, let me know and I'll be happy to help you with it.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 I would strongly suggest ordering  Color Me Beautiful by Carole Jackson from amazon.  1987 edition $10.53.  (Carole is a dark winter).

One good thing in the book is the large color page for each season.  You will know exactly how to look at your skin and have examples.  You'll also models dressed in their opposite season, and see what it looks like.

@ECBG....There is a standing joke in our family that mom threw out the Color Me Beautiful book and she will re-order it in a week.

I bought that book the minute it was published and threw it out irritated with the entire concept only to re-purchase it because I thought I had missed something. Over the years, I have returned to it time and time again.

I really think my haircolor changes over the years has been why I have difficulty with the entire concept. That and the fact that I was anemic for years and now I no longer am. My complexion is far less fair than years ago but everyone tells me I have porcelain skin. My hair I darkened to a more ashy blonde color and I look less washed out. Let's just say I am confused, though.