Valued Contributor

Tretinoin users, which strength did you start with?

I hsve 0.025 that I used for a while and then stopped. I was using it three times a week with no irritation at all. Wonder if I should use it more often. After the thread regarding skincare that doesn't do anything, I decided to give this another try. Wish I would have stuck with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tretinoin users, which strength did you start with?

@Nadine wrote:

I hsve 0.025 that I used for a while and then stopped. I was using it three times a week with no irritation at all. Wonder if I should use it more often. After the thread regarding skincare that doesn't do anything, I decided to give this another try. Wish I would have stuck with it.

@Nadine   Yes, you definitely have to stay with it, expect the tough times, to see any benefit. I started with .25 when I was 35 and worked my way up to the 1.0 I use now. I've been at that level for over 25 yrs. 

Listen to your skin. If it's very red, peeling & irritated, you can back off for a few nights, but then go back to it. Since you are using an prescription cream, your doc should have given you explicit instructions and a soothing cream to help the irritation.

Check again with your doctor and be sure you're being monitored as you use Retin A and increase strengths. Don't forget your SPF even on a rainy day!!! The Retin A makes your skin extra sensitive to sun. 

Honored Contributor

I've been at .25 forever.  I just saw my derm in January and she said I'm still good.  No reason to up it.

I use it every day for 2.5 weeks and then I take 1.5 weeks off before I get my brow and lip wax (so that my skin doesn't come off with the hair).  Then I start again.  It works for me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I get my tretinoin from Curology and they can start at levels lower than the typical .025.  Most start at .009 but since I had been using Differin for quite a while, they started me at .012.  Over almost two years, I gradually increased to their maximum strength which is .14%.  I use it every night but do not use it on my neck or around my mouth or eyes since these areas are very sensitive.  In these areas, I use retinaldehyde which is much gentler on the skin.  At age 64, I am seeing good results and wish I had started it when I was younger.  Better late than never!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started with .025 and used that for about 6 mo. Now I use .05.

Tretinoin is formulated to be applied every night. If you can't do that b/c of irritation then apply it less frequently and/or with a moisturizer for starters until your skin adjusts. The goal is to use it on clean dry skin every night w/o interruption forever. Tret is not designed to use occasionally nor is it designed to use intermittently. It's everyday and forever.

Here's a very informative video to help you begin using tret (Hotand Flashy):

"How To Start Using Retin A"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqOa6QcjMQ

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first go round was to prevent scarring after facial mole removal.  The dermatologist prescribed .1%. I continued using it for a few years but eventually quit.  I’m back using again. I went for the .1% but mistakenly chose the gel form.  I used it but felt it was even more drying than the cream. When I needed to reorder I went to the .05% cream and remain there.  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I did watch Dr Drae and she said the lower dose is really just as good if your doing ok on it then moving to a higher dose. Your results may be a little slower but not that much to change to a higher dose. Looks like most of you have increased the %. I'll use this tube and then ask the Dr about it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I started with .025 and used that for about 6 mo. Now I use .05.

Tretinoin is formulated to be applied every night. If you can't do that b/c of irritation then apply it less frequently and/or with a moisturizer for starters until your skin adjusts. The goal is to use it on clean dry skin every night w/o interruption forever. Tret is not designed to use occasionally nor is it designed to use intermittently. It's everyday and forever.

Here's a very informative video to help you begin using tret (Hotand Flashy):

"How To Start Using Retin A"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqOa6QcjMQ

Thanks for providing the additional info @SilleeMee 

Trusted Contributor

I started .025 15yrs ago (info from this board), I’m 59 and moved up to .050 2-3 years ago. I’m thinking of moving to .1 when I’m 60. I’ve used every night. I did stop before waxing but I haven’t waxed for 5 yrs. I now get my eyebrows threaded. Cheaper quicker and no stopping retinol. They can thread your face (had that done but don’t need it )
Honored Contributor

@Nadine 

i don't remember but it was a very weak strength to begin with.

'Best thing I ever did for my skin.

'I prefer (usually) RENOVA.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~