Honored Contributor

Treating brown spots on face

[ Edited ]

I returned to have a bit more laser done on two spots that lightened a bit, but did not go away after the first laser  treatment I had  a month and a half ago. 

She also recommended a prescription strength hydroquinone topical 4%. to dab on the one cheek brown spot for two months...stop... and if it ever seemed like it was returning ( which can happen with brown spots) to cycle it again.

i know there is controversy on using this product....but, I would only apply at night and just a Qtip  amount or less of the cream. 

Do do any of you have suggestions or comments on this product?

Honored Contributor

Re: Treating brown spots on face

In this country 4% Hydroquinone is stil lthe gold standard for melasma, use it for 3 months, then stop, by then it should have don its job. I have used it and would use it again, it works!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hydroquinone works, but there must be a reason it's forbidden in some other countries.  I haven't done the research so I don't know why.  During the recent Serious Skincare shows (Evine), Jennifer had a deal on a 2-pack of her Pure Pep Fading Fluid pads.  They have special peptides and other lightening/brightening botanical ingredients that work similarly to hydroquinone.  She recommended using them on the face, neck, dec, and backs of hands to correct hyperpigmentation.  

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   The SSC Pure Pep does work on those spots, although it's a little slower.  Just remember to always put extra sunscreen on those areas every day (even when no sun), and they won't come back.  That has worked for me......I had one on each temple (probably from driving the car, because the one on the left by the driver's window was the worst).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Hydroquinone works, but there must be a reason it's forbidden in some other countries.  I haven't done the research so I don't know why.  During the recent Serious Skincare shows (Evine), Jennifer had a deal on a 2-pack of her Pure Pep Fading Fluid pads.  They have special peptides and other lightening/brightening botanical ingredients that work similarly to hydroquinone.  She recommended using them on the face, neck, dec, and backs of hands to correct hyperpigmentation.  

@JeanLouiseFinch    I love these pads and have been using the pure pep for years along with their other pads... nothing worked on my brown spots sad to say.....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch    I love these pads and have been using the pure pep for years along with their other pads... nothing worked on my brown spots sad to say.....

@SeaMaiden  Skinn has an Enlightened Radiance line of brightening products.  Maybe the concentrate would be worth a try for targeted treatment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The possible cancer-causing property of HQ was shown in studies of rats. It has never been shown to cause cancer in humans.

eta - The rats were tube-fed with very high doses of HQ. The product was not applied topically during these studies.

Respected Contributor

Hydroquinone did not work for my brown spots.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Hydroquinone did not work for my brown spots.

@IMW   Did you have laser first?

Honored Contributor

4% Hydroquinoine faded a huge brown spot on my face the size of a quarter in 1997, used it for 3 months, it has never returned.