Honored Contributor

Re: Toxic beauty documentary

Hard to know who we can believe or trust anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 - It will be 15 years for me on June 1.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

The government needs to step in to assure the ingredients are safe in cosmetics and there should be expiration dates on all cosmetics and skincare.  The article talks about the cigarette industry but today at least you are informed.  When I started smoking you did not think of it as a highly addictive drug and the smoke going into your lungs.  I have COPD and believe me, it is no fun to be out of breath if you bend over a couple of times to pick something up.  Let's pray that cosmetics and skincare is regulated very soon for our safety.

p.s.  I quit smoking going on 7 years ago.

@Katcat1   Congrats on your quitting smoking. I know it's not easy. I agree that ingredients in cosmetics/skincare need to be regulated. What's been bothering me is that lately, I've noticed on some packaging that it states "ingredients are subject to change without notice". Have you seen this? I now check the ingredient deck on each product I purchase even if I've used it for years. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

The government needs to step in to assure the ingredients are safe in cosmetics and there should be expiration dates on all cosmetics and skincare.  The article talks about the cigarette industry but today at least you are informed.  When I started smoking you did not think of it as a highly addictive drug and the smoke going into your lungs.  I have COPD and believe me, it is no fun to be out of breath if you bend over a couple of times to pick something up.  Let's pray that cosmetics and skincare is regulated very soon for our safety.

Good for you @Katcat1 . That was no easy task I am sure. My Dad had COPD and iI remember him saying that the worst thing was trying to catch his breath. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1, that is a huge accomplishment!

As for government regulating over-the-counter beauty products, I agree with you. But unfortunately, anything that smacks of government regulation is not in vogue right now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

What really concerns me as a consumer is the back and forth debate on using sunscreen VS  the new controversy of getting cancer from using them just a little bit..... they need to come to a conclusion about the use of sun screen and cancer VS skin cancer.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

What really concerns me as a consumer is the back and forth debate on using sunscreen VS  the new controversy of getting cancer from using them just a little bit..... they need to come to a conclusion about the use of sun screen and cancer VS skin cancer.  

@SeaMaiden, the benefits far outweigh any small concerns that have not been vetted.

Read this very carefully The American Academy of Dermatology

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden, the benefits far outweigh any small concerns that have not been vetted.

Read this very carefully The American Academyf of Dermatology

@suzyQ3   Excellent!  Thankyou!

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 

I had to Laugh out Loud when I read, "the government needs to step in....."

If the government creates such an entity it will be funded by the big cosmetic companies to make sure their ingredients and profits comfortable safe.   Sorry, we are on our own when it comes to our health and safety.

The government can barely keep our food supply safe.....

Honored Contributor

For what it's worth, I'm glad there is the FDA. Early in the 1900s there was no such thing and you can only imagine how dangerous and truly toxic cosmetics and food was back in those days. Today I think we should be thankful for having an agency that offers a place to report bad experiences with our cosmetics. If not for the FDA things could be a whole lot worse.