Honored Contributor

Re: Tova snubbed on International Womens Day

@SeaGal wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Speaking of Dimitri, are you watching his last hour of this visit on right now?

@SeaGal  You bet.  Brett Chuckerman is doing a great job, hosting with him.  I think he's been the best, most educated host throughout the Skinn launch.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

What a silly day, it's meaningless. It's no accomplishment to be born a female, it's just the way you come into the world & I don't need to be recognized, supported or given a discount because of my body parts.

I agree. Discounts for being older, should also be stopped.

@mom2four0418, now you're just being mean! Smiley LOL

What about student discounts and discounts for kids in restaurants, on planes, etc? If we're going to be fair, I'd think it would have to be across the board.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:
In the society we live in now everyone wants a trophy and wants to be celebrated. Its a different era. We are raising a generation of entitled children.

@Reever, your thread bemoans the fact that you think one person was snubbed. Now you bemoan here that you think everyone feels "entitled" to acknowledgment. I don't get the connection between the two.

And I think the this idea that we are raising a generation of entitled children is a meme based on old ideas. We know so much more now about child development and the importance of self-esteem as opposed to the old-fashioned views that children were to been and not heard and never to be "spoiled" (what a silly word in this context) -- an inference that totally ignored what they need to grow up with confidence and empathy.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:
In the society we live in now everyone wants a trophy and wants to be celebrated. Its a different era. We are raising a generation of entitled children.

@Reever, your thread bemoans the fact that you think one person was snubbed. Now you bemoan here that you think everyone feels "entitled" to acknowledgment. I don't get the connection between the two.

And I think the this idea that we are raising a generation of entitled children is a meme based on old ideas. We know so much more now about child development and the importance of self-esteem as opposed to the old-fashioned views that children were to been and not heard and never to be "spoiled" (what a silly word in this context) -- an inference that totally ignored what they need to grow up with confidence and empathy.

I have to yet disagree with you regarding self-esteem.

Our prisons are full of men and women who have more than enough self-esteem-someone telling them how special, great, exceptional (add any adjective here) they are.

Self esteem is NOT the same as self respect-which is earned and something only YOU can give yourself upon achieving a goal, what ever that goal may be.

Kiddos with self respect are confident, exceptional, and empathetic.

Honored Contributor

@maestra, it's okay that we disagree. I'd continue expressing my feelings to you about this but will refrain because this is already quite O/T;  also, as it's unlikely that we would sway each other -- possibly we might come to understand each other, though, and the terms we're both using.

Maybe another time when it is on topic. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland