Respected Contributor

Anyone use this? what kind of ingredients?  Very mixed reviews and it's a very expensive product!  

Share your experience pleaseSmiley Wink

Contributor

Re: Topical Collagen...Algenist

I am currently using this and I can say I love it! Unlike so many other expensive products that I’ve tried, this has improved my skin. Give it a try. If you don’t like it you can always return. 

Respected Contributor

Just an FYI, you can't replenish collagen by applying it to the skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Topical collagen is a great moisturizer and film former, helps to physically lift and hold up the skin. People have used and loved this ingredient for many many many many years. It can't penetrate the skin and and induce collagen production, though. To do that you need to use peptides.

Edited to add: Here are the ingredients in the Algenist collagen product:

Collagen, Water, Propanediol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Betaine, Pentylene Glycol, Dextrin Palmitate, Collagen Amino Acids, Parachlorella Beijerinckii Exopolysaccharides, Chlorella Protothecoides Oil, Helichrysum Stoechas Extract, Cylindrotheca Fusiformis Extract, Niacinamide, Tocopherol, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Adenosine, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Carbomer, Sodium Lactate, Amodimethicone, Homosalate, Polysorbate 20, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Octocrylene, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Beta-Carotene (CI 75130).

I see nothing earth-shakingly wonderful in there. And it is fragranced with a potential sensitizer, Limonene. A while back, I used a micronized fish collagen product from Poland. It lifted and I liked that, but the lift was due to an external film on my skin. I could use a lifter product from Walgreens with pullulan in it to the same effect. The Polish product claimed that the collagen was so broken down that it could convince the skin that it was damaged and needed to make repairs. But that's what peptides have been genuinely proven to do. Collagen, no matter how mirconized, doesn't have that clinical proof.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

I am hoping there will be an Algenist kit TSV with some of these new products soon.

Has anyone heard?

Honored Contributor

I have been using this product for about a month and I can say in my case, it does what they promise. My fine lines and wrinkles are disappearing and my deep marionette lines are less noticeable. The big notice is my neck, no lines around the neck and even my waddle under the chin is firmer and my facial skin overall  is firmer, smooth and glowing. I'm no kid and as long as I can afford this product, I'm using it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Algenist keeps saying it is plant-based collagen. But when I look that up, collagen is not found in plants. Protein and other components are in plants which helps collagen formation.

I do not like that Algenist is not specific in listing the source of their "plant-based collagen." And I cannot tell from the ingredient list @Porcelain provided.

We are fighting a losing battle if we are relying upon topicals only. But of course, we all know this!

Super Contributor

DHC has a new collagen mist they just came out with.  It's currently out of stock but will ship 8/20.  I'm going to try it.  Used the whole bottle of Algenist's and didn't really see any difference.

Ingredients:

water, butylene glycol, glycerin, dipropylene glycol, pentylene glycol, poly (1,2-butanediol)-4 PEG/PPG-29/9 methylglucose, phenoxyethanol, dihydroxypropyl arginine HCL, bis-ethoxydiglycol cyclohexane 1,4-dicarboxylate, trehalose, sodium citrate, dipeptide-8, citric acid

No added fragrances, colorants or parabens.

Honored Contributor

@HarpaLooks like they made their own collagen from plants. I did not expect that. This is from their website:

"Plant collagen is a new innovative technology created by binding together corn, soy and wheat protein fibers resulting in vegan amino acids that structurally mimic collagen that allows for a functional equivalent to animal-derived collagen."

I guess this is possible because you can extract all the components necessary to create all the amino acids. And of course amino acids makeup peptides and proteins and collagen. It's just that no one would generally try to recreate collagen because it's easier and cheaper to buy fish or bovine collagen. It'd be like recreating honey.

Algenist does brand themselves as very innovative and sciency and chemistry-forward. If I were to peg any cosmetics company to do this it would be Algenist or a brand from Switzerland or somesuch.

They also say they made it small enough to absorb. No idea how that would work. And no idea whether it would do anything good inside the skin. But it might! They need to explain it better and provide lots of studies to back up their claims IMO.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain

Ah, so that's it! Thanks for your 2nd reply! I had not gone to their website to try to find out more.

Well, what else is there, but plant-based skin care? (I say this loosely!) Aloe, for instance, contains a bunch of amino acids.

There is a lot more, perhaps, to this discussion...