Honored Contributor

Re: Toothpaste, tooth products that whiten - help, please

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1,   For toothpaste I use Tom's Wicked Fresh in Spearmint Ice flavor and if you want whitening, I would go with Crest Whitening system.  The toothpaste is awesome but I am not that savvy when it comes to the whiteners.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I've always had hard to whiten teeth all of my life. It's worse now that I'm in the 50+ and holding range. I tried the Supersmile toothpase & whitening and have had good results. I also tried the pre rinse and Smileactive whitening pens. They all work for me. I alternate between the pre rinse and whitening pens whenever I think to order them but I'm on auto deliever for the toothpast and whitening gel.

Honored Contributor

It's important to note that if you are using a toothpaste or mouthwash with fluoride, it's best to do your whitening treatments before brushing or rinsing with fluoride. The fluoride interferes with the whitening process by blocking the whitening chemicals from reaching the subsurface layers of the teeth.

Honored Contributor

I have never tried them because I also have sensitive teeth.

Suze Orman says she uses Crest 3D strips instead of wasting money having it done at the dentist. She has the money to pay for any one she chooses to use.

I heard strawberries & baking soda also work. Found this online mash strawberries, mix with baking soda & apply with toothbrush. Wait 5 mins brush teeth & rinse. Don't use more then once per week due to the acid.

Honored Contributor

I have been using Colgate Optic White Toothpaste for years now, I swear by it. My teeth at 65 are as white or whiter than they were 20 years ago. I recently had bonding done and the dentist told me he used a shade lighter now than he used on me 20 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  This has been a quest of mine for many years with nothing good to report regarding whitening.

My yellowish shade is due to aging as well as (it appears) braces from WAAAAAYYYYYYY back in the day. My teeth are bright white everywhere except where the bands were; not uncommon according the Cosmetic Dentists I've consulted with. The stains are NOT due to:

*tea

*coffee

*smoking

*berries

*medication

I've done the in-office treatments with the lights (twice) with no difference. I've done the trays multiple times with no difference. I've use the pens, the ampules...nothing. I use  Sensodyne toothpaste, Colgate for Sensitive Teeth both with whitening properties to help with keeping my teeth pain free. I've done the strips...no results. I finally made appointments with 4 Cosmetic Dentists to see what my options were; I mean, how do so many people have these great white teeth if none of the products are working for me?!

EVERY one of them told me the same thing: these products work on surface stains ONLY. NOT on the natural color that comes with our teeth getting old. People get veneers. They get caps. That's it. That's what they do if the staining is not from anything on the list.

I'm not willing to do those things, especially as they need to be REPLACED every 10 years or so and the cost is $$$$. I wish I COULD find an answer because I HATE how my teeth look : (

@SahmIam

Well, that's discouraging, right?  I did hear awhile back that some people just cannot obtain really white teeth no matter what.  I cannot afford nor do I want to go through all of that dental stuff with the veneers.  I reccently had to get a crown and that was enough of an ordeal for me!!!  I think a lot of people have the mistaken belief that if you teeth are not sparkling, chiclet white that you do not take care of your teeth.  As far as concerns me, this is definitely not true.  I have always been very careful with my dental care.  Just another depressing fact of aging, I guess!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's important to note that if you are using a toothpaste or mouthwash with fluoride, it's best to do your whitening treatments before brushing or rinsing with fluoride. The fluoride interferes with the whitening process by blocking the whitening chemicals from reaching the subsurface layers of the teeth.

@SilleeMee

Thank you for this information.  This is something I never heard any where.  But it really makes sense.  I will have to try and remember this!!!!!  

Honored Contributor

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.  Why is nothing simple?  I am leaning more towards trying the pens.  I know I won't get brilliant white teeth but some improvement without sensitivity would be great!!!!  

Valued Contributor

I'm a heavy coffee drinker.  I have had real improvement in removing stains with Crest 3D White "Glamour".

Every perfect gift is from above.
Respected Contributor

I use Colgate Optic White toothpaste everyday. it makes a difference. Once in a while I use an IntelliWhite surface stain remover. I drink a lot of coffee and tea. Every four months I get my teeth cleaned and the hygenist also polishes them.