Honored Contributor

Toothpaste, tooth products that whiten - help, please

Are there any products --- toothpaste, whiteners, etc. that you can buy that really do help whiten teeth and do not cause sensitivity issues?  My teeth as I am aging are starting to yellow --- I hate that!  I cannot afford to get those whitening treatments done at the dentist.  And my teeth and gums tend to be sensitive so I have to be careful what I use.  Anyone have any suggestions for products that fit the bill?  I am not expecting chiclet white teeth by using an over the counter product, but some improvement would be nice!!!  Thanks!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Re: Toothpaste, tooth products that whiten - help, please

I use Crest's 3D white toothpaste, a Sonicare toothbrush, and sometimes Crest's whitening strips.  Since you have sensitive teeth, you might want to alternate these products with Sensodyne whitening toothpaste.  You could use whitening strips, but carefully - maybe using only every couple of days - you'll know when you have to back off.  

Honored Contributor

I have used a product from HSN, and it works really well. It's a gel that you paint on

I think a DDS invented it

Honored Contributor

Most of the whitening products I've tried are the pen-style paint on gels. For me these are the most convenient and easy to use. I have super sensitive teeth.  I have used:

-Intelliwhite 

-Smileactives

-Maxxgel

The Intelliwhite from HSN gives me the whitest results but comes with some sensitivity and is the most expensive of the three. I only use this gel about once a week and sometimes less depending on how my teeth are looking. I don't get sensitivity issues with the Smileavtives or the Maxxgel and these work fairly well if you use them often...like twice daily. Maxxgel is the most affordable and I would say the results I get come very close to what I see with Smileactives Advanced for nearly half the price. Maxxgel is sold on Walmart dot com and also on amazon for around $14 for two pens. Walmart ships it free.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee

I also have sensitivity issues so I've never tried a whitening product.  Your post is very helpful. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I highly recommend Smile Brilliant.  DH and I both get great results with this product.  You can see reviews on Youtube for this product.  It can be purchased via mail order.  As far as I know it isn’t available in any store.

Honored Contributor

I don't have any recommendations for you, but I do have a warning.  I don't even know if they're available anymore, but a few years ago I ordered the Go Smile kit of ampoules that were to be rubbed all over the teeth and used in the AM and PM for a period of days, something like 10 or 15 consecutively.  The concentration of hydrogen peroxide was so high that they burned the skin on my gums.  They were bright red, painful, and peeling after just a few days.  I'm typically not a baby when it comes to pain, but the pain was bad.  After stopping, it took a few days for everything to heal.

Also, be a label reader.  Some of these products contain xylitol.  If you have a dog or cat in the house, keep the product where you're positive they won't get it because xylitol is toxic to your pets.

Respected Contributor

I just looked for Amazon reviews on the GLO Science offered by Q. Reviews are mixed. One comment was that the "light" was just a gimick. Apparently it's the hydrogen peroxide concentration that does the work. Would like to hear opinions from dental hygienist/dentist.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Are there any products --- toothpaste, whiteners, etc. that you can buy that really do help whiten teeth and do not cause sensitivity issues?  My teeth as I am aging are starting to yellow --- I hate that!  I cannot afford to get those whitening treatments done at the dentist.  And my teeth and gums tend to be sensitive so I have to be careful what I use.  Anyone have any suggestions for products that fit the bill?  I am not expecting chiclet white teeth by using an over the counter product, but some improvement would be nice!!!  Thanks!!!  

@AngelPuppy1

Yes!    I've always had sensitive teeth/gums and found Supersmile toothpaste to be an effective cleaner and even diminished my sensitivity!   (I didn't find any difference using the SS accelerator with the toothpaste, so I now use just the paste)

Supersmile keeps them white, but I use a whitening pen once or twice a year just to give them a little boost, just because.   However, you need to use the pen consistenty for several days to get the desired effect.   

BTW .... some pens are rather pricey, but I've also seen them sold at grocery stores .... and even dollar stores!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  This has been a quest of mine for many years with nothing good to report regarding whitening.

My yellowish shade is due to aging as well as (it appears) braces from WAAAAAYYYYYYY back in the day. My teeth are bright white everywhere except where the bands were; not uncommon according the Cosmetic Dentists I've consulted with. The stains are NOT due to:

*tea

*coffee

*smoking

*berries

*medication

I've done the in-office treatments with the lights (twice) with no difference. I've done the trays multiple times with no difference. I've use the pens, the ampules...nothing. I use  Sensodyne toothpaste, Colgate for Sensitive Teeth both with whitening properties to help with keeping my teeth pain free. I've done the strips...no results. I finally made appointments with 4 Cosmetic Dentists to see what my options were; I mean, how do so many people have these great white teeth if none of the products are working for me?!

EVERY one of them told me the same thing: these products work on surface stains ONLY. NOT on the natural color that comes with our teeth getting old. People get veneers. They get caps. That's it. That's what they do if the staining is not from anything on the list.

I'm not willing to do those things, especially as they need to be REPLACED every 10 years or so and the cost is $$$$. I wish I COULD find an answer because I HATE how my teeth look : (