Esteemed Contributor

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I use Sensodyne Pronamel because I have sensitive teeth, however anybody can use it.  It helps to build the enamel in your teeth, which wears down over time due to eating, drinking things like soda and basically just chewing food all the time.  Teeth do not last a lifetime so I want to protect mine as best as I can.  

@LuvmyLab 

I had my teeth bonded a few years ago due to worn enamel.  

@ALRATIBA   Were you happy with the outcome of bonding your teeth?  Only the front teeth?  How has it held up?  I would consider looking into this for me.  I didn't realize they do this.  Also, did you have to have your teeth ground down  to prepare for the bonding?  Sorry so many questions....

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs 

I would totally recommend bonding.   Well worth every single cent it cost.  I had loss of enamel and one tooth had a small chip.  Now they are perfect - no spaces ... just even teeth.

No filing down teeth or anything.  Just some novacaine and the stuff is "painted" on the teeth and there is some light thing that he shines on the teeth - I assume to harden the stuff.

I forget how long ago it was .... maybe five years.  Cost was about $2500 for both top and bottom.  He did the bonding in two sessions a few weeks apart.

I had a bunch of dental work done that year. I have a really good dentist.

Super Contributor

I use Crest Complete whitening and so does my son who is a dentist. 

We like it, and he says he recommends it for his patients too.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for getting back with me, @ALRATIBA .  I will ask my dentist about this the next time I go in.  It sounds like it would be perfect for me!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@just bee We've been using Colgate Sensitive Complete Protection for years (only because SO was getting cases and cases of it for free). My teeth are still sensitive to cold.

We gave some cases away to family and to church for the food bank & shelter, but still have 29 tubes left to go. I won't donate these since they're way past their expiration date, (they weren't when we got them). We will use them until they're gone.

Respected Contributor

Sensodyne pro enamel 

Respected Contributor

Sensodyne Total Repair & Protect..(it has to be the Total Repair & Protect one).

My teeth never ever hurt anymore with this tootpaste...It can't be the whitening one,

just any that say Total Repair & Protect...I am never without,..Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

download (4).jpeg

I've always liked to "switch up" toothpastes, so we have a lot on hand. (DH couldn't care less.)

The only must for me, is that the toothpaste not burn or cause sloughing; many of them do, and there's no need for that. And it doesn't make them more effective.

For subtle whitening, I like Opalescence. Another good, all-around toothpaste is Crest with Scope.

I like Crest Pro Health, too, but this contains stannous fluoride which, though very helpful in preventing cavities, eliminating gum toxins, and remineralizing teeth, can stain teeth, especially between the teeth. (And any toothpaste with stannous fluoride must state that on the package AND tube.) Manufacturers also state that their toothpastes also include a whitening agent to counteract the staining effect of stannous fluoride. But that doesn't work for everyone.

stain.jpeg

tooth-discoloration-925x425.jpg

This staining, though extrinsic, is more difficult to remove, but dentists can do it. 

I haven't noticed any staining yet, but I'd stop using stannous fluoride toothpastes if I ever did. Sodium fluoride has done the trick for me for most of my adult life-I've never had a cavity, and my gums have always been in great shape. As far as remineralization goes, ACP (amorphous calcium phosphate) is added to many toothpastes for that purpose. One of the first to use ACP was Enamelon--one of the first remineralizing toothpastes. Sadly, this wasn't effectively marketed, and disappeared about 25 years ago. (Today's "Enamelon" is in no way related to the original.)

I also brush regularly with plain baking soda, which can also help with tooth stains...to which anyone who's ever used it to remove tea stains from a cup can attest lol.

In any event, there are plenty of choices among toothpastes (too many, some might say), so there's something for everyone.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Most commercial toothpastes contain an ingredient that irritate my gums so it was difficult to find products I could tolerate. A dentist told me the substance, but I can't remember the name.

Anyhow, after much trial and error, I am able to use Tea Tree Therapy toothpaste with baking soda and 2 versions of Sensodyne toothpaste.

My gums and teeth are in good shape.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Montana

That ingredient was most likely SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)which is a gum and soft tissue irritant to those susceptible. Some even get canker sores attributable to this ingredient.

Thankfully, there are a number of SLS-free toothpastes from which to choose.

What worries you masters you.