Honored Contributor

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

[ Edited ]

I use Perodontax toothpaste because it contains stannous fluoride which is way more effective than the more common sodium fluoride. Both kinds of fluoride are good for your teeth but stannous fluoride is an antibacterial and protects your teeth and gums from cavities, plaque, gingivitis and tooth sensitivity. Sodium fluoride just protects against cavities and not much else.

I also use a stannous fluoride treatment gel (not a toothpaste) and that strengthens my teeth even more, keeps my gums and teeth in top shape and me out of the dentist's chair.

ETA - I've long known about the benefits of fluoride. I grew up as a military brat where fluoride treatments were done every six months. Because of that I never got a cavity in my life and I still had all of my teeth, including all four wisdoms, up until recently when scleroderma made some teeth fall out. At any rate don't dismiss the benefits of using fluoride products...they really do save your teeth.

Honored Contributor

Keep 'em coming! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Sensodyne. It’s great.

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

I read where the 'goo' that comes off when using some pastes

are usually from the whitening brands.  

The ingredients used for whitening causes an irritation.  
Personal experience, I have to agree. 
Even with just one use.

Respected Contributor

Ultrabrite. Works for me and it's cheap. Haven't had a cavity in years. Just saw the Dentist last week. 

Esteemed Contributor

You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!  We used this the whole time we were growing up.  It came in a paste and a powder.  

I use CloseUp cinnamon gel toothpaste because I love how clean my mouth tastes when I am done.

My poor DH has severe dry mouth from his bone marrow transplant.  He uses different things including one from the dentist called MiPaste.  He has tried all the Biotene gels, sprays, you name it, but nothing really helps.  We are taking ceramides right now hoping that will help.  It is surprising how much we depend on saliva as part of good oral health. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@just bee 

I read where the 'goo' that comes off when using some pastes

are usually from the whitening brands.  

The ingredients used for whitening causes an irritation.  
Personal experience, I have to agree. 
Even with just one use.

@sidsmom  I still keep that recipe made up for teeth cleaning that you shared.  I use it a few times a week.  It really does give your teeth that good clean feeling.  The taste leaves a little to be desired though Woman WinkWoman Very Happy.

Are you still using it?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 3 tubes open at all times: Crest 3D Brillant White, Colgate Optic White and Arm and Hammer (any version).

I don't know which one is best. I alternate daily. Arm and Hammer, I think is the freshest tasting.

Respected Contributor

Pepsodent, Ultra Brite. Sometimes Aim.

For many years I've been buyng the CHEAPEST toothpaste I can find. The price is usually around $1, sometimes a little less. Haven't had any problems or cavities in years and I see my dentist twice a year. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@just bee      I have about 20 open tubes of different  TP at any one time... I rotate them daily.. who knows what is best.. my teeth always look the same no matter what I use. LOL!