Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,766
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?


@ Montana wrote:

@catwhisperer 

 Thanks for the information. I ordered the kid's version in strawberry.  Most of the regular products contain mint and that usually irritates my mouth.  Cinnamon is also a no.

 

I did see a few other flavors that might work: anise and lemon-lime. I'll probably give them a try too.


Shoekitty said: my husband cant tolerate any of the cinnamon and stronger mints either. He also can't eat hot jolly rancher candy, or any cinnamon or similar flavorings, especially with red dyes... he gets sores.  My granddaughter does too

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,936
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

A natural mint toothpaste from Dr. Mercola

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,525
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

 

I use Dr. Ginger's Coconut Mint w/White Charcoal toothpaste.  It tastes fabulous and really whitens my teeth.  I'm a coffee, iced tea, red wine drinker & won't be without this.

22AEBD42-DD1F-4BC3-BB70-967BA204446D.jpeg


@SurferWife 

 

I drink sturdy black teas and red wine and I don't intend to give up either in the near future, so this post caught my attention.

 

I tried oil pulling some time ago, then stopped.  Don't remember why exactly, but I liked the concept.  This product incorporates that into the formula.  Have you tried the mouthwash?  Looks like a good alternative to the alcohol/saccharin concoctions out there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,525
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

I picked up the tube of toothpaste I'd ordered this week.

 

Colgate

 

I guess I shouldn't fret about the addition of stannous fluoride because the gel I've been using -- Colgate Total SF Whitening -- has it, too.  Never even noticed.

 

Thank you all for your responses.  This has been fascinating!  We use a tooth product every day for decades but how many of us really know what we're using?

 

Lots of good suggestions.  I may very well be trying some of them in the future. Woman Very Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,015
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?


@just bee wrote:

I picked up the tube of toothpaste I'd ordered this week.

 

Colgate

 

I guess I shouldn't fret about the addition of stannous fluoride because the gel I've been using -- Colgate Total SF Whitening -- has it, too.  Never even noticed.

 

Thank you all for your responses.  This has been fascinating!  We use a tooth product every day for decades but how many of us really know what we're using?

 

Lots of good suggestions.  I may very well be trying some of them in the future. Woman Very Happy


 

 

@just bee 

I would stick with the whitening version because that would counteract the possibility of yellowing from the stannous fluoride. Just a thought.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,525
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?


@SilleeMee wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I picked up the tube of toothpaste I'd ordered this week.

 

Colgate

 

I guess I shouldn't fret about the addition of stannous fluoride because the gel I've been using -- Colgate Total SF Whitening -- has it, too.  Never even noticed.

 

Thank you all for your responses.  This has been fascinating!  We use a tooth product every day for decades but how many of us really know what we're using?

 

Lots of good suggestions.  I may very well be trying some of them in the future. Woman Very Happy


 

 

@just bee 

I would stick with the whitening version because that would counteract the possibility of yellowing from the stannous fluoride. Just a thought.Woman Happy


@SilleeMee 

 

Good point.  The new tube has a warning about staining, but then follows that with a blurb about it being specially formulated to resist staining. 

 

Huh?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,015
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

@just bee 

Yes, I read about that, too. SF oxidizes...it 'rusts', in other words, and I think Colgate has added an antioxidant ingredients to keep the SF from doing that. That's what I read somewhere about their SF toothpastes.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,525
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?


@SilleeMee wrote:

@just bee 

Yes, I read about that, too. SF oxidizes...it 'rusts', in other words, and I think Colgate has added an antioxidant ingredients to keep the SF from doing that. That's what I read somewhere about their SF toothpastes.


@SilleeMee 

 

Well... we'll see, now won't we? Woman LOL

 

 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,733
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

[ Edited ]

 

@just bee

 

You're in luck! Though Crest (and others) have added ingredients to counteract SnF2 staining, clinical studies show that Colgate Total SF performed significantly better in stannous fluoride stain reduction than competitors. 👍

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30797258/

 



What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,525
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?


@Moonlady wrote:

 

@just bee

 

You're in luck! Clinical studies show that Colgate Total SF performed significantly better in stannous fluoride stain reduction than competitors. 👍

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30797258/

 


@Moonlady 

 

Whew! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~